Chapter 1

Silver POV

"Man could this elevator go any slower", I thought while confined in this metal box, growing impatient. I felt so helpless; there I was, just standing, waiting for the heavy doors to open, while she fought for her life somewhere in this building. A million thoughts in my head, how did this happen? Is she going to be okay? Will I ever see her again? The last time I saw her I was 6 months ago, leaving for India, for a photography gig. Now the day I return she'd been in some sort of car accident, that was I all I could gather from my mothers incoherent phone calls when I'd got back from the airport to the house. I can't lose her. I won't lose her. My best friend. My sister.

'Ding". The doors slid open and I rush out through the narrow hole, not waiting till it was fully open. I stop at a hallway looking at the signs on the wall, not sure which way to go, till I hear my name.

"Silver".

I turn to see my family at the end of the corridor and rush over to my mothers' arms hugging her tightly. I pull away slowly looking at her tired eyes before giving my dad an awkward hug from the side, we've never been too close.

"How is she?" I ask, trying to hold back the tears; I had to be strong for my mom.

"She's still in surgery, they won't tell us anything," my mom answers weakly.

"She'll be fine, this is kayla we're talking about", I smiling slightly, trying more to convince myself. My mom nods and looks at the floor, I kiss her forehead and giver her reassuring squeeze, before noticing my brother Daniel behind her and walking over.

"Hey kido" he mumbles into the top of my head, giving me his signature bear hugs.

"Hey big brother" I reply closing my eyes for a second before pulling away and looking back at my parents who had settles back into the seats I assume the occupied before I entered. I sat next to my mother holding her hand; my brother followed and sat on my left.

Opposite us were four boys; I hadn't really noticed anyone else in the waiting room when I first came. I recognized one of the boys as Kayla's boyfriend, James, from pictures she had sent me while I was in India. He was tall, built with blue eyes and blonde hair, he sat leaning back in the chair in a kind of daze looking at the ground. I noticed small cuts on his face and he was wearing a hospital gown, which made me realize he was probably in the accident as well. To his right was another boy, who was skinny and tall, with styled blonde hair and next to him was a boy with brown scruffy hair and blue eyes. To James' left was boy with brown curls and big brown eyes. The boys apart from James who was still staring at the same spot on the floor, gave me a sympathetic smile, I smiled back slightly before getting lost in my thoughts.

--

I made my way back from through the plain hospital corridors. Everyone was just sitting in silence in the waiting for the past half hour. I grew restless and excused myself, said I needed the toilet when really I just need to walk around and do something other than sit in one place. Suddenly my vision started to blur I held on to the railing on the wall taking deep breaths.

I felt a hand on my back, "hey are you okay" I didn't look up,

"can I get some help please" the male voice spoke again.

Someone else made their way towards us, I hear muffled voices, my hearing was dulled. Some hands guided me to a seat, I closed my eyes tightly hoping my vision would return to normal when I opened them, I was still breathing deeply and slowly my senses were returning, the muffled voices turned in to actual words that were telling me that it was going to be okay and I believed them. I looked up at and recognized the boy from the waiting room that sat next to Kayla's boyfriend, the one the big brown eyes. Next to him was a lady that I assumed was a nurse from here uniform.

"Are you okay" she asked.

"Yeah" I breathed out.

"You didn't look okay a second ago" the boy spoke as I looked back at his worried expression.

"I'm fine, just felt a little faint," I say quietly.

"We should get a doctor to see you" the nurse states as she starts to walk away before I grab her arm, "No. I'm fine honestly, it's just been a long day".

"Alison" someone calls the nurse.

She turns her head toward the call then looks back at me, "are you sure".

"Yeah, I'm good, someone needs you. You should go".

She thinks for a second, "Okay, drink lots of water and get some rests and if start to feel faint again, go see someone" she says to me before turning to the boy "look after her", he nods and she walks away to the person who called her.

I turn back to the brown-eyed boy who looking at me still with his concerned eyes. "Are you sure you don't want to see anyone" he asks again.

"Yeah" I smile trying to look better than I felt. He looked at me unconvinced, frowning making his forehead crease.

I bring up my index finger placing it right between his eyebrows till his face relaxes I put my finger down, "you shouldn't frown, you'll get wrinkles" I say smiling.

He laughs slightly and stands up from his crouched position.

"I should get back to the waiting room", I say as he holds out his arm to help me up, I take it and were at eye level once again.

" I'll walk with you I'm going back too," he states and we start walking back together.