Chapter 1

"I don't understand why ANYONE would want to watch...this" Melanie cringes, motioning to the TV above the bar, while sipping her beer.

The TV was playing a UFC fight.

I mean, I could think of a couple reasons why people enjoy watching this kind of stuff.

I looked at one of the shirtless guys' abs.

"Hello?" Melanie says, waving a hand in front of my face trying to get my attention.

"Oh yeah... Right?" I say rolling my eyes pretending to completely agree with her, taking a swig of my beer.

She looks at my face, I can feel her eyes burning a hole into the side of my skull, "I can't believe you! You seriously need to get laid." Melanie scoffs.

"What are you talking about? Also, maybe be louder next time, I don't think the whole bar heard you." I said, palming my face.

Melanie looks around and silently apologizes to the people around us who were silently giving us the death stare.

I feel my face flush with embarrassment, and I swear, I saw some creepy guys flash me a smirk.

I took a final gulp from my beer and set down the bottle forcefully, "You ready to head out?" I asked, looking over at Melanie's flushed face. She can handle alcohol, but you can tell when she's been drinking, the color of her face usually gives it away.

She nods, taking a final sip of her beer before putting it down.

She wraps her her right arm around me, "Carmina, remind me again, what happened between you and James. Why did you break up with that hot, hot man?" She asks while we exit the bustling bar.

Okay so, she's definitely drunk.

I looked down and I couldn't really answer. He was probably a girls' dream guy. He had everything. Like LITERALLY everything. Not only was he the sweetest man on Earth, he was also filthy rich.

"I don't know, I just... I didn't feel like I was in a relationship anymore. There wasn't any excitement anymore... It sounds bad, like the only reason why I want to be in a relationship is for the honeymoon phase, but everyday just became the same thing over and over again, like a never ending loop. And it wouldn't be fair to James if I stayed in that relationship just because it was comfortable, you know?" I said, looking over at Melanie who is flashing me the biggest puppy dog eyes in the world.

"If you didn't want him, you should have given him to me!" Melanie whines.

While all of this James talk was going on, I brought out my phone and got us an Uber, "I don't think getting into relationships work like that babe." I answer, letting out a small chuckle in the process.

Melanie lays her head on my shoulder, "I wish they did..." She pleads.

After a couple minutes of waiting, our Uber arrived, and the minute I helped Melanie into the car. She knocked out cold. Falling asleep right on my shoulder.

About 20 minutes later, we arrived at my place. I figured that it would just be better for Melanie to stay the night at my place. I brought her all the way up to the 5th floor of my apartment's building. I carefully laid her down on my bed and tucked her into the covers.

It was currently 8:37 PM.

She's going to be so shitfaced in the morning.

I hurry out of my bedroom, and make my way into the kitchen. I pray that I find something that will help her with her hangover tomorrow.

Melanie goes out for drinks pretty often, she usually has a shelf full of Gatorade to help with the hangovers. The only problem is, those are over at her place not mine.

I search for a couple more minutes with no luck of finding anything.

Oh shit! There's a corner store, like, right downstairs!

I grab a jacket, my purse and my keys and head out the apartment. I get into the elevator, and press the button that will take me down into the first floor.

I leave the building and...

Oh, I didn't really realize how dark it already was outside.

I see the bright glowing neon sign saying OPEN, of the corner store.

Eh, It'll be fine.

I start making my way down the street, and I seriously did not realize how scary everything was when it was night time. I frequently check behind my back, making sure no one is following me and other things like that. It's not that I don't trust my neighborhood, I've just seen far too many of these things happening in movies.

I shake off those kind of thoughts as I grow closer to the store.

While I'm gaining on the store, I pass buy this guy who's leaning against one of the cars that are parked along the sidewalk. From what I can tell, he's wearing a black beanie, and a black jacket and some black jeans. And of course he had to be smoking a cigarette.

Of course! Creepy-guy-in-the-middle-of-the-night 101!

I nod my head at him, and give one of those "Good evening" smiles.

I start to walk faster and then I hear...

"Hey there pretty mama."

Oh shit.

I start walking as fast as my legs can take me.

I start to hear advancing footsteps behind me.

This cannot be happening.

"C'mon! Where you goin' that you need to be walkin' that fast?" He asks getting closer.

"Sorry! Not interested!" I call out, hoping that he'll just leave me alone.

Just then I feel an arm wrap around me and secure me to the side of their body. I felt my heart sink. But, this arm is definitely not the strength of the creepy guys arm, his arms are skinny looking, these ones felt like they had biceps, and it felt like it was coming from a taller person.

I was too scared to look up at him.

"Listen, just keep walking forward and follow my lead." the mysterious man whispered.

"Why would you go ahead of me like that sweetie? I told you to stay by the car and wait for me to get out!" He exclaims, loud enough so creepy guy can hear.

I hear a scoff from behind us and departing footsteps.

I could finally breath again. But I wasn't out of the woods yet, what if my rescuer was also my downfall.

"Are you alright?" He asks from above, I didn't realize how smooth his voice sounded.

I nod, still unable to speak from shock.

He rubs his hand up and down on my left arm before letting go.

I finally look up at him and, oh.

It's the guy that was in the UFC fight on the TV.

The one that had the abs that I was looking at.