Chapter 4

Athanasia panted as she pondered 'What was that earlier'

Her mind was all over the place trying to comprehend what happened, hysterically 'My uncle who was supposed to be dead is alive and that mysterious devilish person can see me!'

'Just what the hell is going on?!'

Yup, that's me. Athanasia de Alger Obelia, you're probably wondering how I ended up in this situation. You see, I died because of my father accusing me for attempt murder on my sister Jeanette. But for some unknown reason, my consciousness is still intact, I only thought that this was all part of death and I'm just waiting for the grim reaper to come and get me. But "What the hell!"

She stopped in her tracks when a sudden realization came and hit her

"Maybe that mysterious person knows what's happening to me."

Her eyes lit up as she saw the hope of getting out of the situation. "Maybe he's the grim reaper, and my uncle was just somehow able to get out of hell when he was going to get me."

Athanasia convinced herself while nodding that all these events only happened because of the incompetence of the grim reaper. "If that is what happened, that means there's no need for me to find him. He'll come to me like a dog going back to his owner"

But after a while of thinking she gloomed "But that might not also be the case either"

The wind howled, but Athanasia's figure was steady, it really made her feel that she really was dead. She then looked up the sky and taught things through.

She sighed as she said with a self-deprecating smile "I guess I'll go to father's quarters and see the outcome of their devilish battle"

Athanasia went to the emperor's quarters with caution. When she was in front of the emperor's door, she first popped her head on the door to see if the battle was done.. But to her surprise nothing have ever happened. There was no devil, no revived Anastacius, no cracks, holes and whatever there was earlier ago.

All she could see was the emperor sleeping sounldly, like the sleeping beauty.

Athanasia was shook as she rubbed her eyes and looked inside again for confirmation. What she saw was none other than the sleeping beauty. Athanasia who still wasn't convinced blinked her eyes twice as she couldn't that nothing really happened.

Athanasia then questionedto herself "Was I actually just dreaming?"

"Wai...wai..wait. Can a ghost even dream?"

Athanasia stopped her theories as she putted it aside and took a stroll around the garden.

The sun shone brightly as ever, like there was no anomalities earlier at the emperor's quarters. The birds chirped like they were singing, the wind howled as Athanasia saw a tree where she could lay down and take a rest.

Under the shade of the tree Athanasia's thoughts wandered yet again, asking herself

"Was that really a dream?"

Finally, she dozed off till late afternoon.

Her slumber was then interrupted when a she felt a breth near her.

"I finally found you"

Athanasia then woke up to see the sight of a raven-haired man with ruby-like eyes staring at her. Athanasia was puzzled and alarmed at the same time, because the man in front of him was the  devil like person from earlier.

With her woman's instinct, her hand flew right to the mans face.

Athanasia was then puzzled yet again as she thought  'Huh, did I just touch him?'

The devil magician didn't expect such response from the lady, which left him stunned and amazed. He then asked her with a curiosed tone. "Did you just slap me?"

Athanasia froze as she didn't believe what she did. She then thought frantically ' Nooo! I'm already dead! Now he's gonna kill me again '

The magician not getting a response poked her forehead while asking "Hey, are you mute?"

"Ouch!" Athanasia exclaimed while caressing her forehead

The magician then grinned as he said    "I thought so." He then pointed at his face as he questioned her amusingly. "Now then, what are you gonna do about this slap mark?"

Athanasia was flustered as she stuttered her words. "A... a... about that, I  am very sorry. I was just surprised when I woke up"

She then thought sarcastically ' I mean who wouldn't be surprised if someone was staring at you while sleeping. You would be branded as a pervert! '

He then stood up and suggested, "How about I ask you a question, then?"

Athanasia felt relieved and anxious at the same time as she nodded with affirmation.

He then looked right through her blie jeweled eyes as he nonchalantly said "Aren't you supposed to be dead?"

"Huh..." The puzzled response of Athanasia.

The magician, not satisfied with her answer, annoyingly said, "What do you mean 'Huh', I clearly saw you die that day,"

An irk appeared on Athanasia as she complained inwards.' What the! On contrary to his appearance, his attitude literally sucks'

He then snapped his fingers and teleported the both of them somewhere secluded.

Athanasia was surprised by the sudden teleportation but remained calm and started to observe the situation when suddenly the magician leaned forward towards Athanasia. There faces were centimeters away, his ruby eyes met her jeweled eyes, his breath could be heard, making Athanasia flushed red as she pushed him away.

Him, not minding her actions amusingly  asked her. "So tell me, what are you?"

Athanasia felt her hope shattered as she frantically said to him "Wait! I thought you knew what was happening"

The magician kept observing her actions  as he said indifferently. "I don't know, this is the first time I encountered something like this. Usually, when somebody dies, their soul reincarnates to become another"

"Usually? ---- then why can you see and touch me?"

The magician contemplated as to why "Hmm..., maybe because I ate your mana when you were a child"

After his answer, Athanasia turned furious as she thought of him taking her mana, that could have saved her from her death. "What! You ate my what?"

With the wrath that she exuded, a pool of mana gathered towards her making the magician alarmed as he ordered her.

"Hey, stop what you're doing!"

"Stop what!"

Suddenly, the spot where the magician was standing broke out with an explosion.

*Baam*

The magician was sent flying away, he hit his head at the concrete wall behind him, his hair all frizzy and scattered.

Athanasia was surprised by this and immediately ran to the magician to check on him, if he was fine or not.

"Hey, are you ok?"

The magician stood up as he ruffled his hair and declared "Lucas"

"What" Athanasia questioned

"Stop calling me 'hey', I have a name you know"

"Then stop calling me that too" she remarked

He the shrugged her off while dusting off the dirt on his clothes. "Ok, princess"

"Don't call me that!" she firmly said

"Fine then. How about Sia"

She tilted her head as he asked him "Is that a nickname?"

"Yeah, your name is too long" he complained

The man called Lucas then extended his hands towards Athanasia and asked her. "Do you want to live?"