2.11 The Mob Character Is A False Magician

The kids happily ate their meal.

The family members are all focused on their plates, enjoying their breakfast with satisfaction. Jin Wei is seated next to the third oldest brother, still cradling the baby in his arms. His younger sibling has a contented expression and smile with squinted eyes, clearly relishing the food. Jin Wei can't help but laugh as he notices some grains of rice stuck to his younger brother's cheeks, and he gently brushes them away.

The sibling on Jin Wei's other side didn't want to be left behind, so he lifted his chopsticks stuffed with food, offering to feed Jin Wei. The younger sibling was aware that his brother was occupied feeding and holding the baby, making it difficult for him to eat, so he offered help. Jin Wei only raised his brow in amusement as he ate the offered food.

The other brothers watched their interaction and seemed to understand something, also wanting to feed their older brother to show affection.

"No, don't start it," Jin Wei warned helplessly. "Eat so I could eat after you guys are done."

The meal is very harmonious, filling both their stomachs and affection full.

The children ate well, leaving not a single grain of rice or drop of sauce behind. The second-born finishes first and eagerly takes the baby from Jin Wei's arms, freeing him to savor his own meal. Meanwhile, the rest of the siblings work in tandem to clean up, whisking away their empty bowls and wiping down the table. They may still be young, but these kids take their chores seriously and show a remarkable sense of responsibility.

Jin Wei could not help but to feel proud and distressed. It is good for children to be sensible and smart, but not under the condition of experiencing something difficult. These kids experienced hunger and cold many times and have to grow sensible early to survive. Luckily, none of them were weak and managed to hold on until Jin Wei arrived.

Jin Wei had just finished his meal when he remembered one of the twins complaining about being bitten by a bug. He beckoned at the twins and the two children sprinted towards Jin Wei, the one bitten by the bug proudly displaying a puffed-up elbow.

The mark on the child's skin was distinct and conspicuous: a raised bulge with a tiny, black dot in the center surrounded by white rings. The skin around it appeared swollen and red, with a trace of pus oozing out. Jin Wei was surprised by the extent of the swelling and gently raised the child's arm for a closer look.

"Huh? What is this? This swelling is quite big. How did this happen?"

He leaned in for a better look at the wound, concern etched on his face. The way the bite mark was puffing up was frightening, and upon touching the skin around the bite, he could feel a noticeable warmth. It did not give any good news.

"Did you see what bit you?"

The kid shook his head, quite teary. Seeing Jin Wei's worried face made the child feel that he did something wrong and the situation is dire. But he found comfort in Jin Wei's concerned expression that made him feel that it is okay to be vulnerable and voice his discomfort.

The child shook his head again, trying to hold the sobs, and with a sniffle, spoke up, "No. I didn't know. Ge, it feels numb and very itchy."

"When did this happen? How about your twin brother? Did he get bitten too?"

"Nope," the twin said, displaying his arms and legs to Jin Wei. To Jin Wei's relief, there were no bite marks, just a few scratches from roughly playing around. "He was bitten when we were grazing on the back mountains yesterday."

"What were you doing on the back mountain?" Jin Wei asked, his suspicion growing as he examined the bite. The size of the wound seemed larger than what a simple bug bite would cause. The skin around the wound was discolored, which only added to his suspicions that the insect might have been poisonous.