2.17 The Mob Character Is A False Magician

Everything happened in slow motion, but it felt like he had become slower than time.

Laurem was in a daze, clouded by the heat of his fever and the exhaustion brought on by the awakening of his bloodline. His limbs felt heavy, and he struggled to muster up the strength to stand. All he wanted was to escape, to flee this place of danger and uncertainty, and go somewhere else peaceful.

He wanted to move and pull Jin Wei to a safe place, but his body refused to cooperate.

He leaned heavily on Jin Wei, grateful for the other person's support as he paid attention to his instructions. But even as he strained to focus, Laurem couldn't help but feel a tinge of dread brewing within him. There was something off, something not quite right about the situation they found themselves in.

It wasn't until he felt the tension radiating from Jin Wei that he realized what was happening. His heart lurched in his chest as he strained to turn and catch a glimpse of shadows emerging from behind them - Two looming figures materialized before him, their hulking frames casting long shadows in the dim light of the crate.

The two men stepped out of the shadows, their faces obscured by the dim light. One of them held an ax in a tight grip, its gleaming blade poised for a deadly strike. The other brandished a whip, the leather thong coiling and uncoiling in his hand like a venomous serpent.

Their eyes were red, glistening red with a crazed, bloodthirsty glimmer, devoid of reason or humanity.

Laurem felt his blood run cold.

For the first time in his life, Laurem felt true fear. The kind of fear that makes your heart race and your breath catch in your throat. He knew that these men meant business, and that they would stop at nothing to see him and Jin Wei dead.

Laurem reached out to seize Jin Wei tightly but-

But he wasn't able to... he can not.

Jin Wei's cold and calculating eyes scanned the scene before him, as if he had foreseen this moment all along. He stood there, a towering figure, his arm outstretched to push Laurem away. It happened fast, so fast Laurem barely had time to react before he was sent hurtling backwards.

In that moment, Laurem's heart felt as if it had shattered into a million pieces.

"Please, no!" Laurem's voice cracked as he cried out, his arms reaching out towards Jin Wei in a desperate attempt to reach out, his hand grasping at thin air.

But Jin Wei was too far away, too distant to be reached. Laurem felt tears prick at the corners of his eyes, a sudden wave of despair crashing over him like a tsunami. It felt like the world was ending, like everything he had ever known was slipping away from him.

The unfairness of it all weighed heavily on him, the sense of oppression almost too much to bear. Fear crept in, wrapping him in a cold embrace.

And then, just as suddenly as it had begun, it was over. System 777 confirmed the safety of the area, and Jin Wei's smile widened.

Laurem saw it, but it brought him no comfort. It was a smile that said goodbye, a smile that promised nothing but pain and heartache. He tried to crawl forward, to reach Jin Wei one last time, but it was useless.

He was already falling, tumbling down into an abyss of loneliness and regret.

It was a moment that would haunt him forever, etched into his memory like a carving in stone. Even years later, when he would meet Jin Wei again, the image would still be fresh in his mind, and he would cling to the other man, unwilling to let him go.

For in that one moment, Laurem had realized just how much Jin Wei meant to him.

The man with the ax was a towering figure, his eyes gleaming with malice as he sized up the two children. He had his sights set on Laurem, whom he thought as the weakest of the pair, and raised his weapon with a sinister grin.