2.13 The Mob Character Is A False Magician

TW: Mention of r*pe and physical abuse

====================================

There are a few memories that he could still remember from his mother.

The day was blanketed in a soft, gentle snowfall, and it had been coming down for what seemed like a day or two, although he couldn't be sure. As he peered through the window of their decrepit home, the pile of white fluff outside was nearly knee deep.

He was just a small boy then, and his mother had strictly forbidden him from straying outside, lest he be swallowed whole by the deep snow. His meager clothes offered little protection against the biting cold, so he was confined indoors.

But the child was bursting with energy, and the lack of space was suffocating. He would often rush around the room, clambering up on wobbly chairs and tables, running in dizzying circles until he was exhausted. After expending his pent-up energy, he would drag a stool over to the window and gaze out at the world beyond.

His mind was like a fragile, blossoming flower that has yet to completely bloom and grasp the world's intricacies. To him, everything was a kaleidoscope of endless beauty, full of dazzling surprise and uncontrolled excitement. He wants to run like the wind, to fly over the heavens like a bird in flight. His simple, innocent perspective was a source of great contentment and joy, even amidst the hardships of life.

He is happy.

He remembered that he was happy.

Laurem stared as the busy masses raced by, their destinations and origins unknown to him. His breath fogged the windowpane, casting a foggy veil over his vision. Frowning, he immediately wiped away the mist, only to discover that his own reflection was staring back at him.

Mirrors were a luxury item only available to the rich elite. For the impoverished, the only way to see their appearance was through still water or other shiny surfaces. Several others didn't bother looking at themselves at all, knowing that their everyday tasks would soon render their appearance useless.

After all, who would dress up and style their hair if their work requires them to get sweaty and dirty?

This was the first time that Laurem had seen his own face. He drew closer to the window, studying his features with intense curiosity. His attention was drawn to the two small, bony protrusions that jutted out from his forehead. Confused and alarmed, he ran to his mother, seeking answers.

Laurem's mother regarded him with calm patience. "Those are demon horns," she explained, watching as her son scrunched up his nose in confusion and touched the bony protrusions. "You are part demon."

Laurem's eyes widened in disbelief. "Me? A demon?" He couldn't fathom the idea.

"But Xiao Ran says... his parents say that demons are bad..."

The words of his playmate's parents, who had spoken of vicious demons that killed their eldest child, echoed in his ears. Laurem shuddered, his mind conjuring images of the grotesque and monstrous creatures that were very bad and killed whoever crosses them.

Laurem paled. "Does it mean that... I am also..."

His mother shook her head sideways, quickly reassuring him. "You are not a bad person, Laurem," she chuckled, affectionately ruffling his curly black hair and tapping the sharp tips of his horns. "Do you think you are bad?"

"No!" Laurem quickly denied.

"Then you are not," she assured him. "In fact, you're the cutest and most adorable little demon I've ever seen."