2.15 The Mob Character Is A False Magician

Anyway, it is not time to be idle.

Laurem's heart was pounding as he tried to make sense of their desperate situation. The rough rumbling and ceaseless wobbling of the vehicle they were in affirmed that they were on a train, hurtling towards an unknown destination. He looked over at his companion, Jin Wei, who was already conscious when they were brought in.

The surrounding darkness was almost palpable, and the only source of light came from the leaks and gaps of the corners of the closed down panes, illuminating a small section. Jin Wei barely made out their surroundings, but he could distinguish the outlines of crates and boxes in the corner. He inspected them, looking for any signs of precaution, but the dimness only allowed him to see black.

"This must be some smuggled goods," Jin Wei muttered, slightly opening the top of a crate.

His senses were overwhelmed by the familiar pungent scent of sulfur, prompting him to cough. He frowned and hastily shielded his nose, his eyes getting watery in reflex. His gaze swept the vessel's interior, counting the containers and estimating their value.

"That's a lot of explosives," he muttered under his breath. "Are they trying to bomb the whole capital?"

Jin Wei pursed his lips in a sneer. "It seems that they're not only trafficking people. How bold of them to carry such a large amount so openly..."

As the train rumbled through the icy terrain, the frigid air seeped into the cargo hold, chilling the two children as well as the crates of explosives within. The cold temperature increased the stability of the explosives, primarily affecting their susceptibility to heat and moisture. Being surrounded by it doesn't frighten Jin Wei since he knows it won't explode until too much heat is introduced.

Jin Wei heard the young child cough from his back. He looked over his shoulder, propping the kid up to reposition Laurem to a more comfortable support.

"Cover your nose," Jin Wei whispered. "The air is filled with chemicals. It's not good for you to inhale them."

Laurem gave a nod, but he knew that even if he didn't cover his nose, Jin Wei's scent was enough to completely overwhelm the acrid scent. Jin Wei noticed the child cling to him, rubbing its warm head against the crook of his neck. He patted the head, running his fingers through the hair and brushing against the two small horns on the kid's forehead.

His hands were warm and gently, almost lulling Laurem to sleep. Jin Wei reassured him, in a soft voice, "It's okay. Don't be afraid, I am here. You'll be safe."

Jin Wei scoured the metal container, his eyes darting from one end to the other as he sought for a way out. The speeding train hurtled through the darkness, rattling its metal chains and shaking the entire carriage. Jin Wei knew that there was no safe escape from a train barreling down the tracks, but he refused to give up hope.

The vessels were interconnected by heavy metal bolts, leaving no platforms or bridges for him to cross. With each crate he crossed, Jin Wei gripped his companion, Laurem, closer, his heart pounding in his chest. Only by reaching the next vessel would he feel a sense of relief.

The last few containers he cleared were brimming with gunpowder and explosives, but no people. Jin Wei speculated that the crate closer to the engine room would be the area where the traffickers stay. His suspicions were confirmed as he approached the fifth container, where he heard human voices. Quickly, he crouched behind the closest crate, hoping to remain unnoticed.

Unlike the other vessel connections, this one includes a safe walking platform with a secure top and a double-layered door. The metal door was wide open, while the screen door was shut. But, because of how nearly transparent it was, Jin Wei was able to distinguish the outlines and shadows of the people on the other side.