Chapter 4: Broken Promises

Shourya is sitting next to his mother, feeding her the biriyani they bought for dinner.

Priya's parents had just left, they didn't have much to say. Shourya thinks of what Priya's father had said.

"Please sir, I don't know what I can do. I'm a weak, poor man who can barely provide for his family and she's our only child. If you could accept her as your daughter-in-law, I'll be forever grateful. Please, sir."

Neel had melted at the sight of their tears and distressed faces, he had dinner with them and completed the remaining rituals for newlyweds before seeing Priya's parents off.

Reema got her daughter-in-law settled in Rohan's room, she was smiling brightly before she left the couple in their room. No matter what had happened and how it had happened Priya was now her bahu. And Reema could see what Rohan meant about Priya being a better match. Reema likes Priya.

"Did you hear what your dad was saying? You promised me that you'd give me anything I want! How are you going to do that now? Huh?" Priya whispered and shouted once her mother-in-law left.

"I know! I'm not breaking any of my promises, just give him a few days and mom will end up convincing him, okay? Don't worry." Rohan replied.

Meanwhile, in Raj's home office, Neel and Raj were talking about what to do about the alliance, the engagement that was going to happen in a week.

"We have to call Suraj, I don't know how I'm going to do it." Neel says, his eye trained on the floor. How is he going to tell his best friend that he's about to break their promise? They've never broken any promise they give each other.

"Mere bhai, phone toh karna padega na."

(My brother, you are going to have to call them.)

Neel's hands are shaking, beads of sweat running down the side of his face.

"Dad, is everything okay?" Shourya says as he steps in.

"I've got a suggestion," Raj says, gaining the other's attention.

"Call Suraj and tell him we need to meet. Tomorrow. At his house. I need to go speak to Suman."

With that, he left Shourya to comfort his chachu as he calls Suraj.

Next Day at the Rao's House:

Neel said it, eyes on the floor, seated on the hard sofa, he said it as it was.

"Rohan got married yesterday."

Suraj looks over at his son, Virat, then turned to look at his 18-year-old daughter Muskaan, before glancing towards the kitchen where his wife and daughter-in-law were preparing tea. Suraj looks down at his palms.

"What?" Virat begins to stand up, followed by his father. "What did you say, Neel uncle?"

"Bhai, please gussa nahi karien!" Muskaan hurries to calm her brother down.

(don't be angry!)

"Did you hear what they said, choti? Rohan saab has gotten married! The man who was promised to our Meera has gotten married! And he didn't even have the courage to come here today, what a coward!"

"Virat, sit down beta. At least listen to what they have to say." Suraj pleads with his hot-headed son. Virat glares at the four men who came bearing this news; Neel, Raj, Shourya and Aarav. Shourya didn't want to bring Aarav but he argued that he's gotten close to Meera over the years and he feels like he should be here to support her and talk to her.

"Suraj, I know I promis-" Neel gets interrupted by Suraj's wife, Rohini, and their daughter-in-law, Anushka.

"Bhai saab, I've made your favourite pakora and tikki. Aaye betaji, aap bhi len. Bas abhi chai aa rahi hai."

(Brother. . . . please child, have some. The tea is just coming.)

Rohini gestures to Anushka to fix tea for everyone as she serves everyone snacks. Shourya's eyes close automatically taking in the fragrance of the delicious, oily food, he can't help his hands as they reach for the pakora.

"Suraj ne bola hi nahi ki aap sab aane wala hai, waarna Virat ko keh ke biriyani mangwa leti, aur Meera ko keh deti ki aaj ghar hi ruk jaye."

(Suraj didn't tell me that you guys are coming, or else I would have had Virat get biriyani and told Meera to take the day off.)

Suraj takes in his wife's glowing face as she serves everyone food and makes sure the tea is to their liking. She's been incredibly excited about her daughter's engagement; she couldn't imagine a more perfect life for her precious little daughter.

Although she met Rohan a handful of times, she knew he was a great match for her daughter. He had to be, considering the environment and family he grew up in. He must be an honest, caring and reliable man who knew how to take care of his family. That's what every other man in their house was like, and that's how Shourya was. Rohini had met Shourya a lot of times over the years. His chachu's son must be the same.

"Rohini." Suraj stops his wife's blabbering. "We need to tell you something."