Chapter 7: So it's a Yes?

Meera spent the entire night thinking about Shourya and if he'd be the husband she'd dreamt of. The night was filled with imaginations of what the future may hold, the moon peeked through the window at the beautiful, petite girl, as her face went from worried to happy to shy. The moon watched over as the shyness dissolved into sleep early in the morning.

The next morning, Meera called the school she won't be able to come in today. It was Wednesday, which meant her favourite Ravi wasn't going to be coming in anyway. Oh, Meera loved that boy so much, he's so close to saying her name now. Just the thought of the boy calling her names makes her bubble with excitement.

Meera chooses a pastel pink kurti with white pants and a dupatta. Pairing it with her favourite yellow-gold jhumkas. She decided to not wear any makeup today, just some lip tint. Meera loves makeup, she feels it enhances her and she feels more confident wearing it, but she always uses a light hand.

Feeling ready, Meera smiles at the reflection as she applies the tiniest Bindi on her forehead. She walks down the stairs, feeling lighter than ever. Last night she decided that not ending up married to Rohan is probably for the best, they were clearly not a match. She wanted someone who works hard every day, as her baba and bhaiya do, not a spoilt, rich guy who has never had to lift a finger. She's also grateful she doesn't have to sit through any of those dreadful meetings with Reema.

Suraj gazes up at his daughter, as she descends the stairs.

"Good morning, baba." Meera says as she gives him a kiss on the cheek like every day. They can feel it, the change in Meera, ever since the engagement planning had begun, Meera's bright face had dulled, she seemed worried and would jump every time the doorbell rang.

"Good morning bacha," Suraj replied, patting his daughter's head, "your maa has made your favourite alloo parantha." Virat moves the chair next to him so his sister could take a seat. Muskaan and Anushka are seated opposite her, Rohini is sitting to Virat's left and Suraj is sitting to Meera's right. All looking at her with anticipation. Muskaan chews her nails and Anushka gives her an encouraging nod. Suraj and Rohini gaze at her softly.

"Baba, I've made up my mind. Almost." Meera answers the unasked question, looking down, cheeks turning pink.

"What have you thought, mera beta."

"I think . . . . . I- Woh. Maa. . . . Baba."

Suraj put his steady hand on her fidgeting ones.

"Just give a nod or a shake of the head, you know it's a yes from us. Even you brother."

"And from me and Bhabhi too! Right Bhabhi?" Muskaan says.

"Of course, I think Shourya is perfect for you. Your brother would agree." Anushka adds.

"Meera, bache, I know I was mad last night, but I've thought about it and he is the kind of guy I'd give my precious sister to." Virat confirms.

Meera shyly glances at her mother, who stands up and comes around to her nervous daughter.

"Beta, I'll be happy with whatever you want. But I do really like Shourya, he's always been there for us."

.

.

.

.

.

.

Meera gazes up at her father and then gives him a soft, gentle nod. So subtle they would have almost missed it.

Muskaan squeals and pulls her Bhabhi into a big hug. Anushka looks at her husband, who is also smiling. Rohini wraps her arms around Meera and gives a big kiss on her forehead, mumbling blessings. Suraj reaches for his daughter and pats her head until Rohini lets go.

They exchange hugs and smiles, Virat wipes his mother's tears and Anushka goes to get besan ke ladoo from the kitchen. Muskaan teases her sister about Shourya, and Meera gave her sister her best glare. Hearing the commotion, little Jai comes down the stairs rubbing his eyes. "Meera bhua," he calls.

(aunt)

Suraj goes to call Raj, as Jai settles on his bhua's lap to resume his sleep.

It was a yes from their end.