Chapter 10: The Reception

Suraj and his family were on their way to Rohan and Priya's reception. The Rao family had decided to leave their daughters and Jai at home. Virat, really, was the one to make the decision and no one had the courage to speak against it.

Meera was relieved when her brother declared she wasn't going to go, she never had feelings for Rohan and honestly, she didn't really care that he got married, but it still would have been embarrassing and even humiliating to attend. To attend the function that was supposed to be for her, watch another woman stand in the place meant for her, wearing the clothes and jewellery designed for her.

She didn't care for any of that superficial stuff, but people did, and they know. She didn't want the pitiful glances. She'd rather stay home, with her Jai. Her relatives calling to get the details was already bad enough for her.

As she sat by her window, she gazed up at the moon. It was so beautiful. She bit her lip as she let her thoughts wander. Shourya must be looking so out of place in the bright decoration. Hehehe. Or maybe he likes overly bright colours surrounding him? I wonder what he's wearing. A suit? Maybe a kurta? Or a sherwani? Her mind wandered to the day at the temple.

The white kurta suited him, we looked good together in the picture Raj uncle took of us. He was so stiff though, didn't say a word just nodded his head and stood next to me. He was standing with his back as straight as a ruler. Hehehe. I wonder if he even wanted the photo of us together. I wonder if he even wants to marry me.

A frown etches Meera's face as she lets out a sigh. Will he leave me too? But the way Aarav and Riya were teasing him, he didn't even get angry at them. I mean he didn't ignore me as Rohan does. We didn't speak, but he walked next to me on our way out, and he smiled at me also. And what was that video Aarav was talking about? He was going to show me but Shourya grabbed his collar and pulled him away from me. Hehehe. I think I like being around his maa, and dad as well. And I've always loved the twins. I think I liked being around him too.

Meera lets out a dreamy sigh, cheeks covered in blush as she thinks about her soon-to-be fiancé.

At Reception Hall:
"Namaste, Namaste. Suraj, yaar tum logon ne toh bohot der krdi," Neel says as he approaches his best friend.

(Namaste, namaste. Dude, you guys took so long to get here.)

"Bilkul, hum log toh aapka wait kab se kr rahe hai," Raj says as he blessed Anushka and Virat.

(Exactly, we were waiting for all of you guys.)

"Are kya bataoon Neel, teri Bhabhi ko koi lipstick pasand hi nahi aa rahi thi. Is chakar mein late hog aye." Everyone laughs as Rohini elbows her husband. Neel clearly happy to have his best friend back.

(Oh what do I tell you Neel, my wife didn't like any of the lipsticks she had. Because of that we were late.)

Once the Rao family had greeted everyone and met the newly married couple, Shourya guided them to their table. He noticed his future fiancée wasn't here, but neither was Muskaan or Jai.

"Aap Meera aur Muskaan ko nahi kaye? Aur hamare nanhe Jai bhi nahi hai?" Suman asks.

(You guys didn't bring Meera and Muskaan? And our little Jai isn't here either?)

"Aunty woh, Meera was very tired when she got home today, uske school mein aaj koi function tha, hamne kaha ki aaj nahi jaaye, lekin use un bacho se itna pyaar hai ki baat hi nahi mani humari," Anushka says.