Chapter 5: Another proposal

Shourya looked around the small house, the living room they were sitting in was far too small for the number of people present, and the kitchen was right next to them where the fragrance of different spices and herbs was lingering. Behind him was where the rooms were and a small door to his right led to their beautiful backyard. From the phone calls he's overheard of Riya's with Muskaan, he knew the person responsible for the beauty of the garden was Meera. There was always something peaceful about this house, and the fact that Rohan's actions disrupted the peace bothers him.

Just as he thought of her, he heard a small, delicate clinking sound. But the small sound made everyone stiffen, the front door opens ever so slightly and Suraj and Rohini exchanged glances as Virat clenches his jaw. Anushka set a gentle palm on his shoulder, a silent plea to stay calm.

The door fully opens, revealing a brown-haired Meera clad in a yellow embroidered Anarkali suit, struggling with the three bags in her hand. Her long, luscious locks not making it any easier as they shadow her face and block her face from the guests.

"Muskaan, please grab some of these bags from m-" Meera begins to say as she turns to look over at the living room. Her words halter as she notices the guests and begins to feel the tension.

Muskaan gets up from her place, and puts a smile on her face as she runs over to her sister.

"Here didi, mein le jati hun." Meera handed over the bags to her and slowly moved over to the living room. She adjusts her dupatta and whispers a small "Namaste" to the guests. She wouldn't have been heard if it wasn't completely silent. Shourya, for the first time, takes a proper look at Meera and thinks to himself – What was Rohan thinking? Why would he not choose Meera? So beautiful.

(Here sister, I'll take these.)

"Meera, can you please clean these dishes up and then go upstairs with your bhabhi? Don't come down, okay?" Virat says quietly, not wanting to scare his sweet sister.

With a small nod, Meera gets to work and in no time is upstairs in her room, calming down her increased heart rate. She was worried, she could feel the tension.

"Take some rest mera bacha and don't worry yourself. I can see the wheels in your brain turning" Her sister-in-law says before she closes the door. Meera's brother is 12 years older than her, so she's used to such endearments from her Bhabhi. She likes it, it makes her feel like she's got two mothers to look after her. Muskaan is 5 years younger, but she also always looks out for her didi.

(my child)

Meera moves her Pyarelal, a huge brown teddy bear, to the side of her bed and lies down on leaning against her dozen cushions. She plays with the end of her dupatta and lets her brain get to worrying.

Meanwhile downstairs:

"Suraj, you've always been like my younger brother. I know what Neel's son has done is completely unacceptable, and I'm extremely apologetic for what's happened. So is Neel, we truly are sorry." Raj says, joining his hands.

"Nahi bhai saab, please don't join your hand, what has happened can't be changed. I'll speak to Meera. Woh mera accha bacha hai, samaj jaye gi." Suraj replies.

(No brother. . . . . . she's my good child, she'll understand.)

"Suraj, actually we have a proposal for you."

Shourya zones out and thinks back to his conversation last night with his parents in their room.

"Shourya, mera bacha. I really like Meera. She's such a beautiful soul, I can't bear the idea of her not being the daughter-in-law of his house." Raj says.

(my child)

"Raj, aap kya kehne ki koshish kr rahe hai?" Suman asks her husband.

(What are you trying to say?)

"Suman, tumhe Meera kaisi lagti hai?"

(what do you think of Meera?)

"Bohot pyaari bacchi hai, jab bhi milti hai pyar se baat krti hai, itni tameezdar hai. Surat aur seerat, dono se hi sundar hai. Pr aap puch kyun rahe hai?"

(She's a very sweet girl, whenever I meet her she speaks so kindly, she's very well mannered. beautiful on the outside and the inside. But why are you asking?)

Raj turns to the twins, "Riya, Aarav, tum dono ko Meera kaisi lagti hai?"

(What do you two think?)

Riya is the first to answer, "Bohot acche hai wo. Aapko pata hai meri unse aur Muskaan se almost roz baat hoti hai. Itni pyaar se baat krte hai."

(She's very nice, you know I speak to her and Muskaan almost every day. she' speaks so lovingly.)

Aarav simply nods and says, "bohot acchi hai wo."

(she's very nice.)

"Dad, aap kya keh rahe hai?" Shourya asks.

(what are you trying to say?)

Raj holds his son's shoulders, squeezing them a little bit.

"If you want, and only if you want I want to ask Meera's hand in marriage for you Shourya."

"Raj, are you serious? Sacchi keh rahe hain?" Suman asks, eyes twinkling as she turns to her eldest son. "Beta, kya kehte ho? Hmm?"

(Are you saying the truth?)

(Son, what do you say?)

Everyone's eyes were on Shourya, waiting for an answer. He's looking down thinking deeply about what to say. He glances at his parents, who were gazing at him hopefully. He turned to his siblings, who gave him their brightest, cheesiest grins. Shourya takes a deep breath and. . . . . .

"Meri taraf se hain hai dad."

(It's a yes from me.)

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

Everyone glances at Aarav, his mother giving him a displeased look.

"What!? I though that's what he would say." Aarav mumbles.

"Ignore him, what do you say bhai? You've met Meera plenty of times. Don't you think she'll be our perfect Bhabhi."

(sister-in-law)

"Maa, dad, if you guys really think this is what is best, not only for us but for her too, then I'm ready. But only if Suraj uncle and Meera are also okay with this alliance. What if they don't want anything to do with us after what's happened?"

Everyone releases the breath they've held onto. "Of course beta, but if they say yes, does that mean it's a yes from you too?"

"Yes, dad."