Chapter 42: Arrival

Shourya was in his home office finishing up his work to send to his office before he officially begins his paternal leave. Meera had already stopped going to work since she started her final month of pregnancy. Their due date was for next week so this gave Shourya at least a week to prepare for the arrival of his babies. 

He walked over to his room where his wife was busy packing their hospital bag. Although the due date was a week away, Meera had this itching feeling of wanting to prepare early. She had packed clothes for the babies, a change of clothes for her and Shourya as well as all the other baby necessities needed. It was late at night and after this she was going to head to bed.

"Meera, baby! I would have done that. You don't strain yourself, you need to rest okay?"

Meera nods her head slowly as she leans back against the headboard of the bed and her husband takes over her task and zips up the bag. Her husband had been very strict with her since she entered the last trimester of pregnancy, completely cutting out her junk food cravings, attending her yoga classes and keeping track of her hours of sleep. 

"Accha baba, sorry! nahi karungi-"

(Okay, sorry! I wont do any-)

Her words were left unsaid as she felt a sudden contraction. This causes Shourya to look up but she smiles at him thinking it's just one of her babies giving her a gentle kick. But exactly five minutes later she feels it again, along with a sense of wetness between her legs. This causes her to freak out and she stands up straight.

"Shourya! My water broke!"

As soon as those words leave her mouth, she finds herself coiled up in her husband's arms who shouts for Aarav to get the bag and follow behind them. A startled Aarav rushes up the stairs past the couple and grabs the bag before getting Riya to come with them. The commotion catches Rohan's attention as he walks through the front door on his way back from work.

"Aarav, sab thik hai na? Shourya abhi bahar gaya Meera ke saath!"

(Aarav, is everything okay? I just saw Shourya take Meera out!)

"Bhai, I think the babies are coming! Aap please sab ko bata dena, but don't let them come yet. Bhai and bhabhi are already overwhelmed. Mein Riya ko lekr unke piche jaa raha hun."

(Bhai, I think the babies are coming! Please tell everyone but don't let them come yet. Bhai and Bhabhi are already overwhelmed. I'm taking Riya and we're going behind them.)

"Okay, thik hai! Be careful aur mein kissi ke saath tum dono ke liye kapde bejh ta hun, change krne ke liye, and I'll send some snacks as well."

(I'll send some clothes for the two of you to change with someone.)

Soon the Singhania house was completely lit as the family gathered together to pray for their bahu's welfare and the safe arrival of their next generation. Neel called the Rao's as well to inform them and the family immediately decided to come to the mansion as well. 

At the hospital:

"Shourya! B-b-bohot dard ho raha hai!"

(Shourya! it hurts a-a lot!)

Shourya's heart struggled to beat and his lunges forgot how to breathe seeing his wife in such pain. He held her hand as the nurses worked around them to prepare for birth. He kissed her sweaty forehead and let her claw his hand with every contraction.