Chapter 12: Deciding a date

Suraj was helping his wife tidy up around the house, his son and daughter-in-law had gone to get some sweets and snacks, whilst Meera was preparing biriyani. Muskaan's job was just to keep Jai busy. She had submitted her assignment, which meant tomorrow, Meera would be taking her out to lunch.

"Aap rehne de, aapse mera aacha wala tea set toot jayega. Dekho kaise pakda hai aapne." Rohini says as she tries to shoo her husband away. "Aare, kuch nahi hoga dekh-" and a cup drops from his hand and falls, crashing into hundreds of little pieces.

(You leave it, you will end up breaking my best tea set. Look at how your holding it.)

(Oh, nothing is going to happen. Just watc-)

Rohini glares at her husband as he gives a timid smile to ease the tension.

Meera giggles as she calls her father, "baba, come here and help me please."

Rohini cleans up the broken tea cup before returning it to the dining table.

They were going to come in today to discuss Meera and Shourya's engagement. Rohini wanted everything to be perfect, everyone was coming. Her daughter was already nervous as it is, the last thing she needed was something going wrong.

Ding Dong

"I'll get it!" Muskaan runs to grab the door, as her mother rushes to fix up Meera's appearance. Meera is wearing an off-white raw silk kurti with full sleeves that have antique zardozi embroidery around the wrists and sequin detailing on the sleeves. The kurti is coming down to her ankles, with matching raw silk pants. Her dupatta is made of pure organza, it has Zari embroidered Taj Mahal at every corner.

Meera had let her curled hair left out, tucked behind her ears revealing her mother's gold jhumkha's

Meera had let her curled hair left out, tucked behind her ears revealing her mother's gold jhumkha's. Meera took extra time doing her makeup today, although it's not more than every day, she just spend more time steadying her shaking hands. Meera loved how she looked today, especially her outfit, it was her favourite. She only wore once before, when her brother gifted it to her with his first salary. She's been saving it for an appropriate occasion. Looks like today's it.

"Namaste Raj bhai saab, aaye aaye." Suraj settled his guests into their living room.

(Namaste Raj brother, please come in.)

"Betho, Shourya beta, Aarav, betho na, bas abhi Virat aur Anushka aajaen ge."

(Shourya son, please sit. Aarav take a seat. Virat and Anushka will be here any minute now.)

"Ji uncle." Meera heard a deep voice, making her shiver. He's right there, she thought. Rohini gestures to her blushing daughter to wait here, who in return gives her mother a small nod. Meera could hear some murmurs and laughs, Raj had bought along his wife, the twins, his brother, and sister-in-law, his mother and of course Shourya.