Chapter 40: Tantrums

3 months pregnant:

"Mhmm, Meera?"

The bright light of the bathroom woke a super sleepy Shourya up at three thirty in the morning. He looked towards their balcony window and the sun wasn't even rising yet.  He squinted his eyes to see what Meera was doing in the bathroom and it wasn't till he heard a whimper did he realise that she was having morning sickness. Really early morning sickness. 

He quickly stumbles out of bed and almost trips on his way to his wife. He holds her hair back and rubs her back as she hovers over the toilet. Meera whines again and wipes the corner of her mouth, cringing at the distaste.

"You're kids trouble me every morning." 

"Sorry Jaan! You're going through so much and I just feel useless. Tumhe bola hai na ki mujhe utha diya kro."

(I've said that you should wake me up.)

"I know. Pr mein aapko tang nahi krna chaahti."

(But I don't want to bother you.)

"Tum mujhe kabhi tang nahi kr sakti. Chahe kitni bhi koshish krlo."

(You can never bother me. You can try as hard as you want.)

Shourya lightly kisses his pregnant wife's forehead as he helps her rinse and brush her teeth and wash her face before getting her settled back in bed. He spent the rest of the morning smoothing her hair, leaving kisses wherever he could he even told her a story about a prince and princess to divert her mind. And Meera was so thankful for a husband like hers.

5 months pregnant:

"Shourya! Mein aapse baat his nahi karungi, aur baba aur dad ko aapki shikayat lagaongi! Mera haath chodiya, mein Riya ke kamre mein ja rahi hun. Aur Aarav mere liye burger aur chocolates le aayega! Mein aakeli nahi hun, aur aapka yeh torture bilkul bardasht nahi karungi! Hatiye! Mera raasta chodiye."

(Shourya! I'm not going to talk to you and I'll tell baba and dad about this! let go of my hand, I'm going to Riya's room. And Aarav will bring me my burger and chocolates! I'm not alone, and I will not tolerate this torture of yours! Move! Leave my way.)

Meera had woken her husband up in the middle of the night with tears in her eyes, which scared the living daylights out of him. He was immediately up, one arm around her shoulder and one hand holding her swollen belly. 

"Jaan! What happened? Kahin dard toh nahi ho raha? Kya-"

(Jaan! What happened? Does it hurt anywhere? Wha-)

"Mu-mujhe . . . ._

(I-I. . . .)

Shourya prompted her by nodding his head, terrified for the safety of his wife and kids. But when Meera completed her sentence he calmed down and smiled at her pouty face.

". . . . . burger khana hai, aur humare bachon ko chocolates chahiye." 

(. . . . . want to eat a burger, and our kids want chocolate.)

"But Meera, you had a burger yesterday, and what happened to the bag full of chocolates I bought a few days ago?"

Meera's teary pout turned into anger as she moved away from his chest and from their things turned really bad for Shourya. Which is why now he was standing in front of the door, blocking her was as he tries to pacify his wife