Adriana

I watched him walk out the nightclub and my head is still spinning . I can still smell the smell of his cologne lingering on my clothes from our embrace. Or was it Joel's ?
What . A. Night .
I quickly try to get Joel's attention at the bar . I'm
Not sure how much he's seen or what he thinks . It cant be a good feeling to see the girl you just made out with arguing with another man and then hugging him for what must've been a good two full minutes . I think back on the first night I met Joel and want to kick myself for being so forthcoming . I had given him a full backstory about a man k was in love with who was now a famous rockstar . Im sure he was able to put two and two together hence why he seems to be taking his sweet time assisting other customers before coming over to me .
I feel my phone vibrate . I take it out and seen a text from Jared .

Now that I know this is your # I just want to say I really do miss you . Please come see me .

I feel a flutter in my stomach . Only Jared could
Make me want to wring his neck one moment and the next I'm getting stomach flutters . I don't reply because he doesn't deserve it . Who did he think he was showing up unannounced into my life ? And it just so happened to be while I was finally letting myself enjoy the company , the kiss , of another man . It's like he knew. It's like a little warning alarm goes off in his head whenever there's a moment that I'm slightly getting over him . I had just stopped thinking of him and now my mind if flooded back with thoughts of him . God he looked good standing there in his cut off white tee and muscles bulging . He was wearing his signature black ripped jeans and his black hair had shown passed his ears . Just the way I liked it .
" hey um is everything alright ?"Joel said when he finally made his way over . He was wiping the counter down , lifting up coasters and avoiding direct eye contact .
" I'm so sorry about that . I actually wanted to say goodbye before I left .I should probably find Melanie I haven't seen her since we first got here and we promised each other some girl talk time " and boy did I need to have some girl talk time .
"Goodbye ?" Joel asks his eyes finally meeting mine .
" oh no nothing that final ! I just meant I didn't want to leave and go find Melanie without saying something to you "I laugh nervously . I know he wanted to ask what had just happened with Jared . As if I knew the answer to myself . He was too polite to ask straight out but I could tell he wondered if what we had just started that night was already coming to an end .
" so can I call you? " he asks instead .
"Yes of course !" I exclaim almost too enthusiastically. Im already buttoning my coat as if I feel the need to get out of there immediately.I'm not sure when the energy between us became so awkward but I could tell it was. I needed to wrap my head around everything that just happened that night. I knew I needed to get away and sort my thoughts out with Melanie .
" okay great .I'll let you go then . Have a good night Adriana ".he says relived but picking up on my eagerness ,
" I'll see you soon Joel " I say with a dread of guilt . I feel bad that what started out as such a fun night had turned into this awkward dance .I lean in and kiss him lightly on the lips . I felt the need to reassure him although of what I'm not sure . His lips are so soft and I wonder if this would be the last night we kiss . I already feel a lot less ready to start anything then I did before Jared showed up .
It doesn't take me long to find Melanie under the arm of some athlete over on one of the VIP sections . She looks happy to see me and when she notices I'm wearing my coat her smile widens . She doesn't even say goodbye to the guy she was with just gets up and begins to walk arm in arm with me to coat check to pick up hers .
"Tell me your night has been better then mine . This guy was so nice to look at but his voice was literally putting me to sleep. Even after I switched to Red Bull vodkas . I was so bored ."
I laugh at her honesty .
" well prepare to be entertained because my night was quite interesting ."I say as we found our way out the exit and into the cold night air .
" do you know how happy that makes me that you had an interesting night ! " she practically squeals .
I suggest we walk so that we have time to talk instead of taking an Uber and we make our way Down the streets of New York . I tell her all about Joel and how hard I was flirting . I tell her how he thought I was trashed and I had to spell it out for him that I was attracted to him . I tell her how sexy it was when he found someone else to cover my bar so that he could take me outside . I told her about the kiss . How good it felt and how I think I might've let it go even further I'd we had the chance . She stopped in her tracks to hug me and tell me how proud she was from me . I told her not to be too proud yet because she didn't hear the rest of the night . I proceeded to tell her about Jared showing up . About our argument . About how after I knew she was home safe I planned on getting into an Uber and heading to Jareds hotel . I didn't know for sure that that's what my plan was until the words were out of my mouth . I told myself and I told Melanie it was only to see what he has to say for himself.The sad truth was that even now , even after all the time , I would've followed him anywhere .