Adriana present

" It's just really complicated ." I say and take a sip of my drink to avoid eye contact . I'm suddenly defensive .
" No girl . That's not complicated . That's straight up toxic . " Melanie replies and taps my drink to make sure I look at her when she says it .
I sigh and hold back rolling my eyes . I know that the word " toxic " pretty much sums up me and Jared's relationship but that doesn't mean it doesn't sting .
Luckily I'm saved from responding by the sound of a fairly large group of men walking into the bar . Both me and Melanie look up to see and my heart flutters . It's exactly who I was hoping to see.
After the fiasco with Jared I had texted Joel asking if he wanted to hang out . I just wanted to get my mind off what just happened  and maybe there  was a small part of me that wanted to be  spiteful .He responded with an invitation to a local bar he had plans to go to with his brother and a group of their friends later that night . I called Melanie and she agreed she would come with me and meet me a little bit earlier so we can catch up .My time with Joel wasn't exactly going to the hot one on one date I was intending on but if I'm being honest I was more then relieved . Once the heightened emotions leveled off I realized that the last thing I needed was to jump in bed with anyone  else . Besides Joel was a great guy . He deserved more then just being a revenge fuck .
I can't help but smile when I see him walk in . Hes wearing a leather jacket , band tee, and Dickies. All black . It's my first time seeing him out of the more upscale button does that they require the employees to wear at Secrets . He's first to come in followed by a guy who very closely resembles him except with shorter hair and a lip ring . That must be his brother . There are 4 other guys with him and they are all dressed as if the color black is the only one that exists . If I'm being truthful . They're all really hot .Very punk rock . God I have a type .
It doesn't miss me that Melanie is staring too .
Joel sees me , smiles . and then nods to the guys to head over to where Melanie and I were seated . It was a very dark hole in the wall kind of bar with sticky booths and Melanie and I had claimed a back corner as our own .
" hey you "  joel says and comes in for a half hug and brief kiss on the cheek . It could be in my head but I sense the slightest bit of awkwardness. I'm reminded of how we left off last time we seen each other .we had finally stepped out the friend zone and into an amazing kiss . Followed by an interruption from a a famous rockstar who Joel knows as aslo being my ex . I wonder if we'll talk about what happened . My hope is we don't .
  "hey Mel. Let me introduce you both to the guys . This is Benji my brother . Behind him is Billy , Cole , and last but not least Chris ." Joel continues and then there's a rush of voices . We're shaking hands and greeting with each of the guys . I could see it in Melanie's eyes that she has her heart set on Benji and from the look of his he feels the same . They engage in conversation while the rest of the guys take our drink orders and head to the bar to order them . This lives me and Joel alone and I feel a sense of nervousness I wasn't expecting .
" so you come here often ?" I ask  in hope of making conversation . He tilts his head to the side and laughs .
" wait you're being serious ?" He says and I feel the heat comes to my cheeks . I didn't realize what a line my question sounded like till it was already out of my mouth .I join him in laughing and just like that it feels like we're back to our playful stride .
" well to answer your question  i'm here all the time .I know it's not the most appealing aesthetically but it's one of the only places in the city where they play good music . Lots of band guys come here before and after shows so i always end up running into someone I know . The drinks are pretty cheap too .it's pretty much the complete opposite of Secrets which I like . The only thing Secrets has on this place is the fact that sometimes I get to see you " he says with a smirk .
  He's flirting with me . I find myself relaxing a bit . There was a small part of me that thought maybe he had become disinterested with how we left off , I guess Jared's hot then cold then hot again demeanor has left me a little paranoid .
" we'll now that I'm here I guess this place has it all " I say and pat the seat next to me in the booth for him to sit . He sits as close as possible and I lean into him . He puts a hand on my knee and all is right . This feels nice .
" you know I haven't stopped thinking about that kiss " he says into my ear and I feel my smile widen , I hasn't even realized I was smiling and now I was cheesing .
" me either " I reply and it's the truth . I don't mention that it hasn't even been 24 hours and I've already kissed another man and had his dick inside me for all of two minutes but every relationship needs some mystery right ?
His friends return back with the drinks and we kick start what turns out to be  really fun night . We spend at least an hour at that bar before we migrate to another with better food . While at the bar someone suggest we go to Barcade. Barcade is a half arcade half bar . In other words it's a play place for adults .It's a good 8 blocks away so we all hop on the subway not before stopping at a liquor store and getting two bottles of wine to pass around . The energy is electric . His friends are hysterical and twice both me and Melanie almost pee our pants from laughing so hard . The entire time Joel and I are touching in some way .I place my head on his shoulder . He wraps an arm around my waist . We hold hands . If someone were to have seen us they would think we were a couple . Usually the thought of that would be something  that would scare me away . This time around it felt normal . It felt like how it should . It made me happy .
  By the time we get to Barcade everyone is very tipsy . It was the best kind of tipsy . The kind where your heels don't hurt your feet. The kind that makes you so affectionate with your best friend that you can't stop saying how much you love each other .The kind that makes you have no idea where you left your phone last .
  Till I hear my ringtone .
I'm sitting on Joel's lap .Were in the middle of a intense game of arcade Need for Speed . I'm on the steering wheel while Joel is controlling the gas pedal and brake .Benji is next to us with Melanie on his lap and she's really into it . I don't really know what I'm doing but somehow I'm ahead by half a lap , the guys are loosing their minds cheering us on so loud I barely heard my phone ringing . When I do hear the ringtone i instinctually  dig into my bag to silence it.
" don't you dare take your hands off the steering wheel ! We winning this ! I'll get it " Joel says and his hand is already pulling the phone out . Melanie and I make quick eye contact and it's only then when I realize how wrong this could go . I have a work phone and a personal phone and besides Melanie and my mom not many people had that number . I really hoped it was my mom .
I feel Joel tense up behind me as he reads the screen before declining the call . I don't have to look back to know it wasn't my mom .
Its Jared and he's found a way to interrupt get another happy night of mine .
Joel puts the phone down on his lap where I can see and goes back to using the pedal. We're Almost going to win , although I'm sure Melanie is letting me at this point , so Joel's attention is solely on the split screen . We cross the finish line and I scream in celebration . Joel kisses my cheek and squeezes me from behind but the moment is short lived . A text comes in and is fully visible on my screen .
" I'm really sorry about this morning . I love you "
Fuck .