Chapter 26

The butler seemed to be worried.

"If you don't like it, I'll send you to Cesare. Then you can talk to Cesare."

The butler quickly noticed what I was talking about. Actually, it was an open question. Will you cut off your finger, or will you clean the window?

So, for the average person, there is only one option, cleaning the windows.

If a person who has been obstinately serving as a butler is trying to do something like that, it will hurt his pride, but there is nothing else he can do about it.

And what would you do to someone who couldn't afford it? However, if he had to go out and work to pay us back, he could have run away.

It was as inefficient as cutting off his finger.

"... I will clean the windows."

"Okay, butler. You chose well. It's better if your fingers are still intact, right? You're no longer the butler of the duke."

The butler lowered his head. I'm glad it was resolved without making a big noise.

Among those who do this, there are often people who curse or get angry as if it was not their fault, but the butler seemed not to be that type of person.

I told the head maid to bring the servants. Even then, the butler was on his knees.

"From now on, Albert will clean the windows. If you take him and monitor him, another order will be issued, so take him with you."

"Yes, Duchess."

The servants took the butler away instead of expressing their doubts with puzzled faces.

So, is this resolved?

As I was organizing my documents by tapping, I felt a burdensome gaze from the side. When I turned my head slightly, the maids were looking at me with envy.

"Why...?"

"You are so cool! You are really so, so cool! How can you do this all at once?"

"... Anyone can do it?"

I cleared my neck. Of course, she didn't hate the compliments. It's just disgusting because it's like putting a spoon on someone else's work.

"It is not. Usually, when this happens, most of the fingers are cut off and they will die while wandering outside. But the Duchess wasn't like that. You are really merciful. I wouldn't have thought of this way if it was me, right?"

"Really?"

"Yes! And this will make him repent even more."

"... Why do you think so?"

"The butler... No, Albert has a phobia of heights!"

I didn't know, I really didn't know. Did I do that to someone with a phobia of heights? Oh my gosh, I'm Daphne.... How can you be this cruel?

"Hey, is that okay?"

"He has sinned, so there is nothing he can do about it. Still, his limbs are fine."

"Right. A chance to repent of sins while cleaning the windows? Once you've done it once or twice, he will never think about it! I think he will stop gambling."

The maids laughed softly.

Is this really okay..?

Somehow, it seemed like the cruelest punishment in the world.

I remembered the butler who was trembling earlier. However, the choice is yours...

I shook my head and cleared my thoughts.