Cassidy x Reader: Maybe I Like You

Y/n injured trope but it's much more light-hearted.

I didn't know he cared as much as he did. Cole was a charmer, throwing compliments around because that was just who he was. He was a friendly guy who sat back and relaxed with a cigar, who bet on silly things like how many bots he could kill on tough missions. He talked big, to the point where it was hard to figure out if he was bluffing or if he was serious. But he'd pull through, prove the doubters wrong and wear the smuggest smile while doing it. Cole was confident like that. But he wasn't so much so that it all went to his head. He was grounded, maybe from the life he had led in the past. But I never took him for the kind of man who would look down at the small scrape the side of my arm like it was a fatal wound. I told him it's fine, it was just a bullet scrape. I could stand up and fight just like he could. But he dragged me to Angela, complaining that I wasn't taking this seriously enough; what if the bullet hit me straight in the chest? What if the wound was infected? It was crazy to hear him coming to such crazy conclusions, and fuss over an injury that wasn't that severe. Even Angela looked at him like he had two heads.

"It's a minor wound," she told him for the third time as she finished using her healing tech to regenerate the tissue lost. "See? Nothing to worry about." She gestured to my arm, now completely healed. Turning off her staff, she looked at me. "Let me know if there's any other issues, ok?" She steps away, going back to her seat as we get ready to fly back to base.

Cole crossed his arms, sitting beside me with his head down low. Although his hat covered his eyes, I could make out his worried frown.

I sighed, "Get it out of your system." He was going to do it sooner or later. Might as well get it done now when I could sleep through it.

"You should be more careful." He stressed. "You can't just- throw yourself out in the open."

"I wasn't."

He huffed, "Then why did you get hit?"

"It was a scrape."

"It could've killed you."

"So?" I shrugged, "That didn't happen, Cole. I'm ok."

"For now." He said gruffly, taking out a cigar from his pocket and putting it towards his lips.

"You're getting stressed out over nothing." I rolled my eyes.

"I'm not stressed out over nothing, I'm stressed out over you." He bickered as he brought a lighter to the butt of the cigar, flicking the lighter closed hastily and shoving it back into his pocket.

I let out a sarcastic laugh, "Really? I'm the one you're stressed about? Ok, then." I shrugged, crossing my arms as I turned away from him to see Echo on the pilot seat, setting up for lift off.

"I'm serious, Y/n, this mission could've been it for you. You could lose an arm, a leg, or you lose your life- and I don't want either to happen to you." He snapped, making me whirl my head back to him. His eyes were focused on me, in all of his frustration to get his point across. It surprised me to see him act this way, to be this concerned about the what ifs when it came to me. My shock must've caught onto him, because he turned away from me; leaning back in his seat like he was ready for a nap. "Forget it." He muttered.

I couldn't help but laugh at the way he was acting like a kid who wasn't getting their way. Although immature, it was kinda cute. He rushed me all the way to Angela because of a small scrape on my arm. It was annoying, but it came from a good place.

His head shot up as I tried to hold back my laughter, laughing even more at his little sour face. "What's so funny?" He asked, all aggravated and confused.

"Just you." I giggled, reaching out to tip down the worn-out brim of his cowboy hat as he let out a 'Hey!'

I took a moment to calm down from my laughter, hearing Echo over the radio system telling us she'll take off in two minutes. Cole was beyond livid, I could see how red his face was despite his best attempt to try to hide it. To think I'd be the person who could rile him up like this? I chuckled, letting out a tired sigh. I'll throw him a bone. "I heard from Sojourn that there's a bakery near base that sells those cookies you like."

He didn't look at me, blowing a small gust of smoke. "They any good?"

"Dunno." I shrugged playfully. "I was thinking I could go try some with you sometime." I hummed, "But I understand if it's just too painful to be around me cause every time you see me, you see me bleeding out on the floor." I said sarcastically, putting a hand over my forehead in a dramatic fashion.

He glanced at me, then rolled his eyes. "Are you messing with me?"

"Just a little." I winked. Cole smirks, giving me a playful shove as I laughed. "I do owe you for almost giving you a heart attack." I joked.

"Is that why?" He arched a brow, still wearing a playful grin.

"Well." I look up to the ceiling and shrug. "Maybe I like you." I grinned.

He chuckles, "How's about Friday night?"

I nod. "It's a date." I watch as his cheeks go pink, fighting the urge not to laugh while he rolls his eyes playfully.

"Laugh it up." He groans, putting his hat over his face as he tries to take a nap. I choke on my laughter as I try to calm down.

—-

Small update:

I am still working on Closure Part two peeps. It's taking longer because I wasn't happy with the original direction I was going for and wanted to rewrite the conflict so it would match up better with the first part. So, in short: I just wanted you guys to cry even more (jk no I don't and I didn't think you guys would cry at the first one lmao). I don't want to spoil too much, but it's going well. I don't know when it will be done and I honestly didn't know it's been over four months since I posted, but don't worry peeps I'm gonna pull through and get you guys the closure you deserve (pun intended).