Soldier x Reader: Thank You Part One

Narrator POV:

He was a traditional man: fought his battles and helped others with their own. He won some, he lost some. But one battle changed him, tarnished him and he had the scars to prove it. Jack Morrison was dead and Soldier:76 was born, mind set to hunt down the people who tore his family a part. 

You were not like him. You had what he fought for: the blind eye that never saw the battlefields he fought on. Yet here you were, a rookie signing up for Overwatch with no background on basic training or how to shoot a gun. When you came into his office with a smile planted on your face as you showed him your resume, he didn't think anything of you. Just some regular kid who didn't know anything about the consequences. Foolish, young, and dumb.

Once the interview was over, he ended with one last question: "Do you know the consequences of you joining Overwatch?"

You took nothing of it and answered confidently, "Yes, sir."

With that, you left his office and waited until the letter stating your approval came in. 

Little did he know, there was more to you besides what was stated on that piece of paper. You may have not had professional training, but you learned from your father who was in the military for a few years. As a little girl, you wanted to be just like him: a hero. He showed you some basic commands and taught you self defense. You knew that you were not going to get in right away because of lack of professional training, but you were determined to at least try. Maybe your answers would be enough to at least put you up for a training class. Right?

Two weeks passed and you were right: you were in but had to train. Every day at 6:15, you were expected to be in the training room with Soldier:76. No exceptions. And that's what you did: woke up early, drove to Headquarters, and arrived at the training room with five minutes to spare. He stood there with his jacket hung on a chair, holding your resume with his gloved hands. His red visor went to you, looking intimidating as ever. 

"Are you trying to impress me?" he asked roughly.

"No, Sir, I just wanted to get a head start."

"You are supposed to be here on time. Not over, not under." 

You were speechless, you didn't know what to say to make him less angry. Here you were, trying to make a good impression and ended up being seen as a teacher's pet. And he was not taking it.

"My apologies, sir. I'll make sure to come here at the right time tomorrow." What else could you say? 

"What if there is no tomorrow L/N?" Soldier:76 threatened.

Now this was getting ridiculous, it's only your first day and he's talking about firing you. Guilt crawled up your skin mixed in with confusion. 

"With all due respect, sir, but shouldn't I be given a chance to prove myself before you judge me?"

He looked at the resume, and put it aside.

"Alright, kid. I'm going to ask you again: Are you aware of what you're getting yourself into? The sacrifices you'll have to make? The consequences of your actions?"

You looked at him straight in the eye and said again: "Yes, sir."

He sighed as he handed you a gun. "Then show me what you know."

The gun was simple, sturdy, and cold to the touch. This was not like any plastic nerf gun, this was the real thing. And you didn't know how to use it. You examined it, looking at the trigger and where you put the ammo. Then Soldier broke your train of thought.

"You don't know how to use a gun, do you?"

"Do nerf guns count?" You chuckled nervously.

He was silent, dead silent. As you looked away, you heard a low, scruffy chuckle from him. You grinned, at least this guy wasn't a total stick in the mud.

"No. Let's try self defense, try to land a hit on me."

You jumped in surprise, he wanted you to hit him? Your superior? No.

"I couldn't do that, sir."

"You said that you were willing to join no matter what. Stand by your word and do as I told you."

"Yes, sir. Sorry, sir."

Readying your stance, you try to strike for his shoulder. He dodges your attack and goes for your stomach. Luckily, you tripped him over with your leg before he could hit. As he landed, you got a good look of him. His body was pretty muscular for someone that seemed so beyond his years. Not like his tight black shirt left much to your imagination. And his mysterious nature was kind of...Hot? 

Before you knew it he tripped you over with his leg, causing you to fall down on the cold floor with him. Now on your back, you looked over at Soldier who was already standing.

"Not bad, but you need to stay focused." He lends you his hand.

You reach out to hold it, the leather material felt firm and smooth to the touch. You could feel your cheeks heating up as he pulled you up with little effort. Damn. There you two stood, pretty close. Close enough to see his eyes hidden by his visor. You stared into them until he let go of your hand. Noticing how close you were, you backed away with a nervous giggle.

"I think that will be enough for today. You're welcome to meet some of the agents here if you want. They should be awake right about now. I also need you to go to the medical unit to get you're check up done."

Looking confused seemed to show that you didn't have a proper tour of the Headquarters yet.

"You don't know where that is, do you?"

"Not at all, Sir."

"Alright, I'll show you and introduce you to everyone." He picks up his papers and his jacket.

"You don't have to, Sir, I don't want to be a bother!" 

He looked up at you, his expression hidden.

"You're not. I got nothing else to do anyways. Might as well show you around." He pats your shoulder, gesturing you to follow him.

"Thank you, sir." You smiled brightly at him as you both walked out of the training room.

Next Part Coming Soon...