Genji x Reader: Life's a Beach

Cyborgs and sand don't go together.

Reader POV:

Overwatch was having a it's annual beach day, since the base tends to get pretty humid in the summer months. The new Overwatch's budget had no money for proper air conditioning, some areas of the building are still ventilated while others feel like you're walking through a desert. Tracer got the idea one hot summer morning and everyone seemed to agree with her. 

Well, at least I thought I did.

Genji and I were well acquainted with each other, going on missions and all that jazz. We never hung out outside of the job, normally we just say hi and ask how the other is doing or making the occasional joke every time we see each other. To tell the truth, I have thought about the idea of asking him out to see where it would go. Every time I worked myself up to tell him, I backed out or couldn't push the conversation to that direction. After a while, I gave up. Genji must of not been interested and just wanted to keep a professional relationship. I can respect that. 

So here we were at the beach, everyone seemed to be just fine. Smiling, enjoying the soft sand on their feet, splashing in the cold salty ocean. Heck, even the pale Moira was having fun; despite not even leaving her shady spot as she continued to read her manga books. I felt a smile grow on my face, but it quickly faded as I saw Genji sitting by himself on the board walk. Without a second thought, I walked on over to him. He didn't deserve to feel so blue on such a beautiful day. 

"Hey." I broke the silence as I stood right in front of him.

"Hi." He replied. Oh god this conversation couldn't get anymore awkward. 

"Mind if I sit next to you?" 

"Not at all." He scoots over so I could sit next to him. Plopping down on the wooden bench, I look up at his green visor. 

"Why are you sitting here by yourself?" He turns his head to look back at me.

"The sand gets into my joints and it makes it hard to move around. It's a pain to get the sand out so I'm sitting here."

"You should of said something, I'm sure Tracer would of changed the place to something that could suit you better."

"I didn't want to rain on everyone's parade. Look how happy they all are." He points out to everyone at the beach, "My own problems shouldn't stop others from having fun."

"Genji that's very sweet of you, but you deserve to have a good time as much as everyone else."

I got up from the bench and extended  my hand to Genji, "Let's go get some ice-cream."

He seemed to jump up by my offer, "Y/N, you don't like it here at the beach?"

"I'm not going to miss out on much."

He takes my hand and we head down to the parking lot, where my car was. He sat in the passenger seat next to me on the driver seat. As I started the car, I began to drive to (your favorite ice-cream place). I fantasized that there would be some sort of conversation as we drove along the road. A conversation that would make it feel like time has stopped completely and we didn't realize what time it actually was. 

Boy was I wrong.

Genji stayed silent for the next five minutes, looking out the window as the cars passed by. I tried to think of something to say, something to talk about that would interest him. But nothing. The silence coming from his end made me anxious; what was he thinking right now? To ease my mind, I turned on the radio to a random station. Genji woke from his trance, glancing at the radio.

"You can change the station if you like." I said, thinking he didn't like my taste in music. Surprisingly, he began to hum along to the song that was on. His voice, though electronic, sounded rather soft and soothing. Like something a mom would sing to their child when they had a nightmare. It was weird, but I found myself liking it. Not too long, the radio changed to a song that was all to familiar to me. Genji continued to hum and I started to sing along. (I'm just going to use the Pina Colada song by Rupert Holmes cause I think everyone is familiar with the song )

"If you like Pina Coladas and getting caught in the rain, if you're not into yoga, if you have half a brain..." I sang proudly, I didn't feel to embarrassed about how I sounded. It was nice.

When I going to sing the next line, I noticed Genji was not humming along anymore. He seemed to be staring at me. Did I sound terrible enough for him to stop all together? Quickly, I shut my mouth and mentally slapped myself for singing along to the radio.

"Why did you stop singing?" Genji asked.

I felt my face turn red, as if I had sunburn. "Well, you stopped humming so I just assumed that you wanted me to stop singing."

"Your voice is beautiful, Y/N. I stopped humming so I could hear it better."

My heart melted by his sweet words. "Thanks, Genji." My smile grew big as we continued to sing about Pina Coladas. The ride became a concert and Genji was my audience and my backup singer. The radio did not turn off for a minute as it kept playing the latest and the oldest hits from every generation. Through his mask, I could see he was smiling at me as I continued to sing to the radio. The ride I fantasized was coming true right before my eyes and it wasn't long before we were at (your favorite ice cream place).

So here we were, I was eating (your favorite ice cream flavor) and he was eating green tea ice cream. We both looked at the sunset on the horizon as we sat in the open trunk of my car in the parking lot. The silence between us was not empty or uncomfortable, but cozy and warm. 

"It's a nice sunset." Genji broke the silence.

"Never seen one quite like it." I replied as I finished up the last of my ice cream.

"You know, I would consider this a proper date but it's missing something."

My eyes open wide. A date? I didn't think I was asking him on a date when I invited him for ice cream?! What was I thinking?

"What's it's missing?" I giggled nervously, it's obviously a kiss but I just wanted to make sure.

Genji leaned in and kissed my cheek. I turned my head to face him with my face looking so done.

"What?" he laughed at me.

"Dude you built it up to a smooch and left me hanging!" 

He continued to have a laugh attack, "Sorry, you're just fun to mess with!"

Rolling my eyes, I pulled him into a kiss. His shoulders stiffened by my actions but gradually began to ease down. As he started to lean into the kiss, I broke the kiss and playfully pushed him away.

"Now we're even." I huffed.

"Y/N! Don't play with me like this!" He whined.

"Maybe if I get a second date, I will be nicer to you." I smirked.

"Real smooth, Y/N." He cupped one of his metal hands over my cheek as he began to lean in for a kiss. Before he could, I put my finger over his lips.

"Ah ah ah, say the magic words."

"Please."

"Nope. Try again."

"Please with marshmallows, sprinkles and a cherry on top?"

I began to giggle,"No!"

Genji deeply sighs, "Will you please go on a date with me so I can kiss you?"

"Yes." I remove my finger and wrapped my hands around his neck as we kissed in the last remaining amounts of sunlight.

The End