McCree x Reader: Cold Tension Part Five

I googled if you can dry your clothes in cold weather, and google said yes.

Also, just a quick question, should I put this whole series thing in another story fanfic thingy thing instead of the one shots? It doesn't really matter much to me, because I'd probably post the rest of the series on this one-shot story either way. I guess the pros of putting this in another story would be that you don't have to keep scrolling through all the one-shots to reach this series. It's up to you readers, though. Whatever makes reading this series easier for your enjoyment. 

Y/N POV:

I jolted up to the sound of McCree's watch ringing loudly, butting heads with him as we both woke up from our nap. He cursed under his breath as he rubbed his head, his chocolate brown locks jostled without being hidden by his cowboy hat.

"What happened?" I ask, the sleep still heavy in my voice.

"I called up Echo on my watch to get her over as soon as possible while I was drying your clothes. Figured you'd needed medical attention." His voice was low and soft, something I wasn't used to.

"Won't my clothes be frozen solid?" I ask.

"If they were hung by an armature." He smirks, "I'll go fetch them for you, so Echo doesn't have to see you...indecent."

The realization hit me, as my eyes looked directly at McCree's toned chest. His chest hair, though prickly, lightly dusted his pecs and went straight down to his belly button. The fabric coming down around my waist reminded me of my own lack of clothes, making me gasp as I lifted back the serape around me to hide any bit of skin. I looked to McCree, noticing the glare in his eyes as his hazel pupils went from my body to my face.

He let out a cough, "I'll get out of your hair."

I lifted myself off of his lap and sat across from him as he buttoned up his shirt and took his hat. My gaze went to the red serape, making sure to keep it tucked around my body.

He tossed my clothes through the tent and zipped it up to give me some privacy. The feeling of the clothing was surprisingly dry, but also feeling slightly cold to the touch. I quickly slid on my uniform and put on my jacket, grabbing my snow boots to notice that the bottoms of the show were still slightly damp. I didn't have another change in boots, and I'd hate to tell McCree my boots were still wet. I bit my lip as I slipped on my boots, my once dry socks now wet from the stupid ice water. I shook away the discomfort, grabbed his serape, and opened up the tent to see McCree putting all of my stuff in my bag.

"Hey." I greeted him with an awkward wave.

His attention went to me, "Hey there, Dar- Y/N. I'm just getting your stuff together. Hung most of it to dry, and kept those ridiculous breakfast bars in my bag for safe keeping."

I found myself smirking at his joke, "What do you possibly have against a breakfast bar?"

"They ain't breakfast, that's for damn sure." He teased as he zipped up my bag and handed it to me by it's strap.

I giggled as I put one of the straps around my shoulders. "Like you can do better? I heard from Lena you burnt eggs so bad that the staff room reeked for days."

"Was too busy talking to Reinhardt that I lost track! A one time mistake."

I rolled my eyes playfully, while he let out an exaggerated sigh. "Let's just pause with the accusations and get going. Echo's waiting for us a couple of miles down." He puts on his bag and starts walking ahead.

"No! Tell me more about your 'cooking skills'." I ran after him to catch up.

It was different talking to him like this. Poking fun at him without being shady, laughing with him instead of holding it in. It was like talking to a friend: easygoing and liberating. Something to take my mind off of how cold and wet my feet are. Something to brighten up the darkness of the mission and my close-to-death experience. I was able to get him to talk, and he went on and on. Told me about how he learned how to make these cookies called biscochitos from his mom. By learn, I mean he helped her make them in the kitchen. Said they're his favorite cookie. It was odd to hear a guy who looks like he eats beef jerky for dessert have such a sweet tooth. When I told him it didn't count, he told me about a thanksgiving dinner he was invited to by his old boss. McCree was assigned to make an apple pie, and he made it all by hand. He got himself an old recipe book, bought all the ingredients he needed, and continued to create several different versions until he found the right one. He bragged, saying that everyone at the dinner was impressed. I laughed, having the confidence to tell him he should make me some sometime. I panicked at the moment for being so forward, but he simply agreed and went on to talk about how everyone else's dessert didn't top his apple pie.

We ended up at the location of the dropship in what felt like 10 minutes, but was actually one and a half hours. Suddenly, I realized I was still carrying his serape.

"Sorry for not returning your shawl to you." I handed him the warm red fabric.

"It's alright, sweetheart." He takes into his hands, while tilting his head to cover his face with the worn brim of his hat. I turned my head away as I felt my cheeks heat up in a red tinge across my face.

The giant metal door opened, revealing Mercy as she ran down the ramp and towards me.

"Y/n! Are you ok? Nothing broken?" She frantically touches my arms and tilts my face side to side. This is what Lena calls as 'Angela going full-doctor mode'.

"I'm fine, just tired of the cold." I said nonchalantly.

"Aren't we all?" McCree agrees, giving me a grin. I couldn't help but smile back.

"Well, I better run a quick check up on you. We don't know what that cold water might have done to you." She pushed me gently with her hand up the dropship, not giving me a chance to look back at McCree. I was rushed to my seat, Angela inspecting my pupils with a tiny flashlight and looking at my ears with her otoscope. She took my temperature, finding that it was normal and congratulating McCree on doing a good job of taking care of me while she was absent. Of course, he shook it off and said it was nothing he couldn't do. After checking my heart rate, she told me that she would run more extensive tests after the flight. Echo announced we were up in the air, and Mercy wrapped a blanket around me. I didn't complain, feeling tired from all the walking and stress the mission had in store for me. It was nice to slip into a deep sleep, knowing full well that I was safe and warm.