Ana x Reinhardt: Let me be your Sheild

Requested by @Mimikyu2

Ana's POV:

One moment, I was staring at the Holo screen in terror. Fire spreading rapidly amongst buildings, explosions sounding off. Bodies blown to bits, hardly in tact. 

I was there. 

It was no longer just a video on the news, it was real.

My legs ran as the building above me collapsed, falling on top of me. I could feel the burning pain in my torso, in my legs. Using all the strength I could muster, I reached my hands for something to hold on to. All I felt was the wind. That wind carried the smell of burning corpses, all those fallen agents that once had a life. It was putrid, it was sickening. My eyes squint shut, not wanting to see what I knew was there. Curiosity got the better of me, I needed to know what it was. Opening my eyes, I saw the friends I swore to protect. Jack. Gabriel. Torbuern. Reinhardt. All out on the floor, burnt and covered in blood. I screamed for them. I cried for them. My voice was drowning out, time itself started to slow down. I couldn't move, I couldn't save them.

"Ana?"

I heard a voice, faint and soothing. 

"Ana!" My body was shaking, the voice becoming louder.

I jolted up, my eye opened wide. My body was drenched in sweat, and I was panting like a dog. Two giant warm arms were holding me up by my shoulders, I looked up to see Reinhart. His face contorted with concern that could be seen in the dim light of my bedroom.

"Reinhardt?" I mumbled in confusion. What was he doing in my room so late?

"Shh, Ana. It's ok, it was all just a dream." He pulls me into a bear hug.

"Reinhardt, how did you know?"

"I heard you yelling in the halls. You were yelling my name."

His name? Oh no, I woke him up. "I'm sorry for waking you up, Rein. Especially just for a night terror." I wore a pity grin, what a liability I was turning out to be. Waking up poor Reinhardt after all the training we do now in our old age.

"If I may ask, what was it about?"

I let out a sigh, "It was the fall of the swiss base. A collapsing building fell on me and... I saw you, Jack, Torbuern, and Gabriel dead. I saw it with two eyes. Everything and everyone I cared about destroyed. I wanted to save them, I wanted to save you. But I couldn't." I let out a pitiful chuckle, "Funny, isn't it? I was never there when it all fell apart. Yet it feels like I was there."

Tears came down my eye, Reinhart wipes them away with his callused thumb. His blue eye looking deep into me, seeing me for who I was when no one was around. I always kept it together for everyone because that's what they needed. They needed a captain and I became that captain for them. It was a bad habit to build my walls so high, keeping everyone away from how I was truly feeling on the inside. I did it to my friends, my enemies, and my own daughter. But Reinhardt saw through me. 

"Reinhardt, I appreciate your help but I can handle this on my own. I'm a strong old woman."

"You don't need to be strong for me, Ana. For once, let me be your shield."

 He said it so gently, so genuine. Reinhardt's heart is of gold, he was always loyal no matter what. After everything I did, all the pain I put on everyone I loved, he looked past it and saw me when I couldn't see myself. So my walls fell down, and I found myself cradling him like a small child. His muscular arms held me close to his chest, his shirt now stained with my tears. As I let out the pain in my heart, he hummed a lullaby to me. I couldn't tell what it was at first until it finally hit me.

 "Are you humming a David Hasselhoff song?" I chuckled.

His chest lifted up in quiet laughter, "You are a smart woman, never thought you were listening when I would play his songs in the training room."

"It was hard not to, you would turn up the volume so high, Jack got noise complaints whenever you were in the training room." I laughed with him at the memory of Jack lecturing Rein on being aware of his surroundings.

"People just don't appreciate the classics like we do!"

"Who said I liked Hasslehoff?"

Reinhardt gasped, "You wouldn't dare insult THE Hasselhoff!" His giant hand clutched his chest as if he was hurt. 

"I'm just joking, Rein." I put my hand on top of his hand, seeing him blush in the moonlight.

"Ha ha, of course." He holds my hand, petting it softly. "Ana, if you ever need someone to talk to..."

I finished his sentence, "I'll know who to call for." 

I stared into him, his gray hair looked like a bird's nest and the bags under his eyes were noticeable. Even so, he looked so handsome in my eye. The new Overwatch had awoken something in all of us: fear, hope, and loyalty. Never in a million years I would think I'd be here seeing him again. I thought I was better off dead to them, but life has a weird way of bringing people together. With him by my side again, I know that the troubles ahead won't be for nothing. We may be old, but we are not going anywhere until we prove to the world Overwatch matters. Not as comrades, not as friends, but as a couple.

Before I realize it, I found my lips on his own. It's been too long since I felt this way with anyone. Far too long. The kiss was slow, soft. Comfortable. I let go of the kiss, leaning my forehead against his.

"I have always loved you, Ana." He whispers.

"I have always loved you, too." I reply.

Soon enough, we find ourselves asleep. He was the little spoon, I was the big spoon. It didn't take long for us to get comfortable, it was as if we had done this before. There was bound to be teasing from the young agents when they find us cuddled up together like this, I'm too old to care. Let them have their fun, I'll be here with my newfound love.

The End