Reaper x Reader: Wide Awake

Y/N disobeys Reaper.

Darkness surrounded Y/N; the only source of light came from the holo-tv. It flickered from blood red to white to red again against the room, luminating it to some degree. An empty bowl of popcorn laid against one couch cushion, a blanket-burrito-wrapped Y/N sitting on the other side all balled up. You could hardly tell they were there with their body hidden in the fuzzy fabric. Inside their warm cocoon, their sweaty hand pressed down on the remote. They blindly switched through channels, from cooking channels to children's shows. Anything to escape their racing thoughts.

Reyes arrived back from his mission earlier than expected that night. He figured his Y/N would be asleep by now. After all, it was two in the morning. He headed out to their shared apartment, looking forward to see them safe and sound. It was a break from the pain and agony of war, to know that what he held dear to him was not lost. All Gabe wanted to do now was snuggle up close to his love and sleep like the dead. 

By the time he got to the apartment, he saw the lights of the TV outside the window. 

"Could they be awake?" he wondered. "No, they couldn't be. They don't know I'm coming home early." A feeling in his gut told him otherwise. The memory of before he left came back to him.

*Time skippity skip*

"Do you have to go?" Y/N asked as Gabe packed another set of guns.

"Afraid so, my love, " He takes out another pair of guns and puts them inside his pockets, "It will only be two weeks."

"But we're supposed to be binging those old horror movies, remember? It's Halloween tradition!" They pouted their lip, showing their puppy eyes.

Gabe sighed, "Don't pull that shit with me, you know it never works."

Their expression remained unchanged, making him let out another heavy sigh. "I'll be back soon." He pulled their chin towards him and softly pecked their lips with his chapped ones. He headed towards the door, his hands reached it's handle before pausing for a brief moment.

"Don't think about watching those horror movies by yourself." He growled as he opened the door and closed it with a slam.

"Wha-" Y/N ran to open the door to interject, but was met with dark smoke as the door swung back open. The frigid wind of Autumn hit them, goosebumps rose across their exposed skin. Out of instinct, Y/N crossed her arms tightly as if they were holding onto the warmth still left inside them. Their eyebrows furrowed at the empty street, not a soul in sight in the early morning. Gabe could see them from a distance as he spawned off the roof of a business building. He let out an airy chuckle as their love cling to themselves with one hand as the other slammed the door. He could practically hear them mumble under their breath how they "can handle watching a scary movie" and that they "know it's not real."

Gabe heard all of this before, and Y/N has yet to prove that he was wrong. They only started watching horror when they first started dating; playing it off that it was all fine and that they have watched Coraline and The Nightmare Before Christmas as if that was frightening. He found it adorable that Y/N acted so tuff, it's what he loved most about them. In reality, Y/N was mortified. Even the old 1980s bad CGI horror movies scared them. By the end of the movie, Gabe's arm would fall asleep from Y/N clinging to his arm like they were giving birth. Then he was left with a shaky and needy Y/N that would not move from the couch without him by their side. When they went to bed, there was no chance he could get up to use the bathroom without Y/N waking up and pinning him to the bed. 

If all signs point right and Y/N is awake, they are going to be beyond their normal level of fear. It's going to be a rough night.

Hesitantly, Gabe unlocks the front door and slowly pushes it open to not make a single creak. One foot in front of the other, he carefully stepped inside the room to see the curled up blanket monster that was Y/N pushed up against the couch. His eyes switched to the TV, watching the channels switch from Cooking With A Killer Robot to The George Lopez Show. Raising an eyebrow at their weird show preferences, he decided Y/N didn't need to suffer the whole night even if it did make a good lesson.

"What did I tell you?" His stern tone made the blaring of the TV white noise, making the blanket-clad Y/N jump up a bit in the cushions of the couch. The sound of boots stomping on the hard wood floor came closer towards them until they saw their boyfriend in his work uniform with his muscular arms crossed; his body blocking the TV screen. Y/N could sense the look of disapproval hidden behind his Reaper mask; their eyes fell to the floor as if they wanted to disappear. 

"You... You told me not to watch the... The horror movie." Y/N mumbled through their frown.

"Say it again. Louder." He said through his teeth.

"You told me not to watch the horror movie without you. And I did it anyway." Their voice clear as day.

"See what your actions caused?" He snarled.

"I-"

"No excuses. You are scared. Don't deny it." 

The room went silent, but the silence was loud. Tension was building up like a Lego tower with no Lego bricks on the bottom to support it. And that bitch was about to fall.

Gabe's ears perked up when he heard the sound of quiet sobs. The blanketed Y/N's shoulders moved up and down as they wrapped themselves tighter around the fuzzy cloth. The sound made his heart sink; he didn't mean to make them cry. He took of his mask and gloves, carefully placing them on the coffee table as he swooped up the blanket burrito into his arms.

"Baby, I'm sorry I was too ruff on you." He balanced them on one knee as he took out his free hand to turn off the TV. The living room was filled with darkness, making Y/N hold onto Gabe's neck tighter.

"I just wanted to enjoy scary movies as much as you do." Y/N said through their sobs.

"Babe, you didn't have to do that. I already know you don't like them."

"But I wanted to get over this fear, I wanted to really bond with you over something. I thought that I could get over it, that watching it by myself would make me stronger. In the end, it just made me feel worse." 

Gabe slowly laid Y/n down onto their shared bed. Their body immediately went into the fetal position, the blanket pulled over them. Gabe stripped his uniform for an old band T-shirt and fuzzy sweat pants. Once he was dressed, he walked towards the now blanket meatball and pulled the covers over both of them. Gabe reached towards Y/N and pulled them towards him so their head could rest on their chest.

"You are strong in your own way and I love you for it. You don't need to prove it to me because I already know." He pulled down the blanket that covered their face, kissing their forehead.

"Thank you." Y/N lifted their head towards Gabe to land a kiss on his lips. His hands cupped their face, his thumbs softly wiping away their tears. They both broke the kiss; Gabe pulling Y/N closer to give her butterfly kisses. The cold tip of his nose rubbing against their warm nose made her giggle. The wave of energy went down, making them both lie back into the mattress. Gabe wrapped his arms around Y/N as if he was shielding her from the shadows. Y/N snuggled closer into his chest to breath in the scent of his clone. 

"I love you." Y/N murmured.

"Love you, too." Gabe whispered back.

For once, the world seemed less scary. Gabe faced war head on for years, fear was never an option. Every now and again, his mind wandered down the negative path. Questions filled his mind, all laced with doubt. Some days he thought about losing Y/N, having them being taken from him like everything he ever cared about. If life taught him anything, it was to treasure every moment you have with the people you love. Moments like comforting them after a horror film was number one on his list.