Chapter 8: Moving on

Abbi's POV

I woke up the next morning with a throbbing headache. I slowly opened my eyes and was met with an unfamiliar environment. I quickly sprung out of bed taking a look at my environment to figure out where I was.

After a short while, memories of the last few days flashed in my head. I immediately let out a sigh of relief. I still am not used to this place. I went back to bed and closed my eyes to relax my head when I sprung out of bed again.

"Oh, my goodness!! Today is Tuesday, I'm supposed to be at work. It seems Eric has left which definitely means I'm late. Why didn't he wake me? Ahhh, I'm gonna be in the bad book of Mr. Charles." I set my clothes for work and grabbed a towel to go shower.

As I entered the bathroom, I grabbed my brush and began brushing my teeth. As I looked up at the mirror that was right above the sink, I saw a note there.

'Hey Abbi, you don't need to come to work today. Just stay at home and rest your head. I will inform Mr. Charles about your absence so don't worry about that.'

-Eric

I smiled and let out another sigh of relief. Stupid me should have looked at the mirror earlier instead of working up myself.

"You owe him nothing, he owes you everything. You're out of his life and that is all that matters. He's not your dad so its okay. Everything will be fine from now on," i said to myself, remembering what Eric said to me last night.

After brushing, I went back to bed, deciding to shower later. As I lay on the bed, my stomach rumbled telling me that I needed to eat. I sluggishly got up from the bed and started my journey to the kitchen.

I would have taken the elevator as I normally would but I decided to take the stairs instead so I would be more awake by the time I got downstairs.

Who knew that would be one of the worst decisions I would make in a really long time?

This building is one of the reasons they say do not judge a book by its cover, because this house doesn't look that high, but taking the stairs said otherwise. It took me about five minutes to get down here. Now I know why there was an elevator in this house. I'm never going to use the stairs again.

After having enough rest, I went to the kitchen and served my breakfast. It seems like he ordered the food. I sat and began eating when all of a sudden a thought crossed my mind. How did I manage to get to bed last night? It couldn't be that he carried me there. Even if he did, there's nothing wrong with that, after all,... he's my husband. My lips curved in a smile after that thought.

I decided to take Eric's advice and rest for the whole day since I didn't know when else I'd have this luxury.

"Hello, how may I help you?" I greeted the lady whom I supposed rang the doorbell.

"Oh my God! She really does look like Aunt Laura," another voice said from behind the lady.

"Ohh, I'm sorry for not introducing myself first," the lady in front spoke. "I'm Amelia and this is my husband, Tyler. This is my sister Mia and her husband, Jones, and this is Tessa and her fiance Alex. These are our children. Joel and Mark are mine and James is Mia's,"

I was trying to figure out where I heard those names when it suddenly dawned on me. Eric Sisters. I ushered them in and we sat discussing things. One would think I know these people if they see us together, but it's my first time meeting them. They are so lovely. Even their children take after them.

After they left, I sketched some outfit designs and thought about my entire life which has been nothing but a joke.

By the end of the day, I had decided to start afresh. I'll live my life not thinking about my horrible past. I'll live a good and happy life with Eric and his family. I'll totally start afresh and I'll start by changing my last name cause I want nothing to do with Andras.

***

"Oh God, please help me. Let my name be on the list," I prayed as we waited for Mr. Charles to come in and announce which of the interns made it into full-time employment. I can't believe it's been three months already.

As we waited in the conference room, I couldn't help but feel nervous. What if they don't call my name? I

Finally, Mr. Charles walked in with a file in his hands, his expression unreadable like always.

"Lisa Ford,"

My heart pounded in my chest as he called out each name. He didn't even bother saying any words of encouragement or something.

"Abigail Smith"

I blinked trying to process what I just heard. Did he really just call my name?

There were gasps and murmurs around the room. I guess no one expected my name to be there, but I didn't care about them.

I was still celebrating in my head when someone I recognized from the recruitment department barged in.

"I would like to speak to you Charles." the woman said before walking out.

Shortly after, Mr Charles walked back in.

"Abigail your attention is needed in the HR manager's office," he said, making my heart stop beating for a good while.

What in the world is going on? Why is my attention needed? It couldn't be that they made a mistake adding my name to the list right? Oh Goodness! I was so anxious with the amount of questions going on in my head.

"Abigail?" Mr. Charles called again, seeing I was still seated.

I was being escorted by two security persons which increased my anxiety. What the hell did I do that warrant me being escorted by security persons?

"Sit!" Mrs Naomi, the HR Manager told me as soon as I got into her office.

For more than a minute, we sat there staring at each other. I was so worried as to what the matter was because the way she was looking at me wasn't good at all.

"Abigail, I've always seen you as a hardworking and honest young lady. And I admire the way you handle your work. So I expect you to tell me the truth," she said, her expression holding a mix of disappointment and praise.

What the hell is going on? I was so tense, not liking wherever this conversation was going.

"Who do you work for?" She asked looking at me intently.

"I don't understand Mrs. Naomi

I work for this company under Er...Mr Jones." I replied confused.

"Okay, then, let me rephrase my question. Who sent you here Ms. Smith?" She asked again, this time more imposing, creeping me out.