xxi.+*

the second option, a tan cocktail dress won the vote by a landslide. the dress fit snuggly once you pulled the strings from around the back and to the front to make a bow. "momma is this dress too tight?" you whine as you speedwalk to the kitchen. she pulled the phone from her ear before widening her eyes. "oh my bad, wrong time?" you question as you slowly back away.

"no baby come on. and say hey to jalen." "yo." you hum, walking back towards her. she nods her head once you spin slowly and looks at your bare feet. "now what shoes you wearin'?" she hums. in a simple purple button up and black jeans, her black wedges rested next to the living room table.

"your call has one minute remaining." the automated voice informed from your moms cellphone. "here baby let me finish talkin' to your brother; he said he miss you."

"tell him i miss him too. when he gettin' out?" "hopefully in the next three months." your eyes widen in surprise though a small smile starts. "i hope so too." you hum; moving to your bedroom is where your braids were put up in a high ponytail and the applying of light makeup and jewelry began.

"alright [y/n]. be cool. be calm. connie knows how to act accordingly in front of your mom." you chant. after taking in a deep breath, you stand up from your vanity and walk into the hallway that led to your kitchen and outer house.

"connie said he's on the way." you tell your mom as you plop down on your couch, connecting your phone to apple tv ; factor by lauryn hill created a restful ambience. "I KEEP LETTING YOU BACK INNNNNN!" your mom cries out as she dramatically clutches the pan of baked chicken, dropping bits of juice on the dinner littered counter.

"momma we not even there yet." you sigh, rubbing your temples and holding back a laugh. "i don't give a damn! i'ma sing what i want!" she retaliates, quietly resuming the song. when your phone chimes, you look down at the screen to see that connie recently texted; he was outside and waiting for the green light to come in. "oh sh*t." you gasp. "language." "sorry momma."

you stand up from the soft cushions, straightening your dress and appearance. "momma i'm gonna run to the bathroom and fix myself. connie outside." you say before jogging off. she nods as she pours the boiling rice into a strainer.

"just in time." you smile as a quick series of knocks emanated from the door right as you shut off the bathroom light. "coming!" you shout, gliding straight to unlock the locks. when the door opens, connie enters frame with twin bouquets full of dark velvet roses.

"hey pretty." he smiles as he steps in. the plastic of the bouquet crinkles loudly as his arms wrap around your lower waist, pulling you in lovingly. "my momma in the kitchen. c'mon." you usher. he hands you one of the bouquets before following you inside.

with a partially see through, white, button up, it wasn't hard to see the outlines of some of his bigger tattoos on his left arm, neck, and torso; a wild fire with cursive lettering that covered almost his entire middle chest was the one that captivated you the most.

it hung over his grey slacks that were matched with grey and brown oxford sneakers. not to mention he smelled absolutely fantastic. "i see you changed your ring into a stud again." you mumble as you enter the kitchen.

"momma." she turns around with a smile, eyeing connie up and down. "connie is it?" she questions, pausing her stirring. he nods, walking up to give her hug. "mmm you smell good! what's that?" your mom inquired as she pulled away. "it's azzaro." connie chuckles as he rubs his head. "these are also for you ms.[l/n]."

he reveals the luscious, bouquet and she quietly gasps a smile. "awww thank you baby! you're too sweet." she beams as she looks for solace to set them at."i'll find a vase here shortly to put 'em in," she nods, laying the flowers on the counter among the food. "and the foods gon' be done soon so y'all can go and watch tv or somethin'."