012

Anastasia Russo:

I sat at the back of the van next to Enzo. Francesa and Leonardo sat beside us and Matteo, Lorenzo, Elio and father were sat in the front.

There were beverages and fancy wrapped chocolates in the van, I was offered wine but Enzo immediately leaned over and brushed the waiter off.

—-

"Anastasia? Darling we're here." Father tells me as he gently shakes me awake. I can see from thw window everyone is stood outside waiting for me to get out.

"Sorry. That was a long drive." I yawned as I struggled out of my sleep and slumped down on father shoulder. He held my arm, carrying most of my body weight and hauled me down the steps of the van.

"Jeez dork. The night hasn't even started and you're already asleep." Matteo teased, Elio shot him an angry look and he stopped.

"Enzo and Leonardo take your siblings to the banquet. Lorenzo and Elio come with me." Father said as he passed me onto Leonardo's shoulder.

I looked up at Leonardo.
"It's okay. Sleep if you want." He spoke as he practically carried me inside. I remembered tonight was my first impression, I refused to keep embarrassing myself even with all these bruises on my arms. I forced myself awake and copied Francesa's movements as they guided me inside a busy hall.

There were loads of posh people dressed in suits and fancy dresses like my family. I'm guessing these were their equals and alliances since we're not a "normal" family or whatever.

As we were walking a man in a black suit stopped Leonardo and greeted him, Enzo, Matteo and Francesa formally.

"And this is?" He asked looking over at me. I felt my face heating up.

"Anastasia." I said before one of my siblings could answer for me. Enzo gave me a nod of approval.

"Anastasia here is our youngest sister. Lost as a child but reuinited." Enzo spoke, the words leaving his mouth like it was nothing.

"Oh another Russo!" The man laughed filled with surprise and excitement. "Dante must meet you immediately!"

Everyone looked about shocked for a second. "Wait Dante's here?" Asked Enzo, his voice was almost scared. Who was this Dante guy?

"Of course. Dante! Come here son. There's someone you should meet." The mans voice was slurred and heavy. He'd been drinking.

"No. Dante's probably busy Mr Rodrigez. We'll just be on our way." Leonardo said as he tried to grab my arm and leave. The man immediately girpped his shirt and pointed a finger under his chin.

"Now don't think you have all the power to defy me boy. Yes, your father is a very strong man and a good ally but that won't stop me from killing his son." The room went silent as the man grabbed my arm and pulled me towards him. What kind of place was this? A circle formed around us, people were whispering and exchanging worried glances from across the room.

Leonardo didn't look phased, he didn't even look like he cared. He looked more annoyed than anything. Enzo grabbed Francesa and Matteo and pushed them into the crowd. I felt tears brimming in my eyes when I saw the dread on Francesa's face. Something wasn't right. Why was this man so aggressive? I felt his grip on my arm get tighter, I looked to Enzo for help. He mouthed "don't move".

"Now, now father. People are watching. There's no need to cause a commotion." Said a dark voice emerging from the crowd. A boy, around Enzo's age with dirty blonde hair and green eyes like his father stepped towards us. He was wearing a white shirt with rolled sleeves, it was carelessly unbuttoned like some girl was just on him.
"Let go off the girl father." He demanded.

The man immediately released his grip on me. I felt an immediate sense of relief and quickly stepped towards Enzo who took me tighly in his arms. How could he have that much control over his own father?

"Ah. Sorry everyone. Didn't mean to cause any fuss." The man said to the crowd. I despised his voice. "I just wanted to introduce my son to our new friend here. Dante, meet Anastasia Russo." The man exclaimed, loud enough for the whole quiet hall to hear. The crowd gasped and whispered to one another.

"That's right. The girl was found. She's pretty isn't she?" The man stepped towards me and traced his finger around my jaw. Enzo's grip tightened. Leonardo looked like he was about to explode.

"So pretty. Pretty enough to be a wife. What do you say Dante? I've always wanted a Russo in the family." The man said, facing towards his son who had a cold careless expression on his face. The crowds whispering got louder, my blood boiled.

I was trembling. Trembling hard enough that the tears finally broke through.

"We'll have to do something about those bruises though? Won't we?" The man laughed, examining my arms in disgust. Tears rolled down my cheeks. I closed my eyes tightly. I want father to be here.

"That's enough father. Rodrigo, escort my father to the car." Said Dante, the butler immediately held the mans arm and moved him through the crowd to the exit. "Excuse my fathers poor behaviour tonight Russo's and everyone else watching. He's had too many drinks. Apologise to Eljiah for me."

He calls my father by his first name? Who is this guy? What makes him so important? Why is everyone crowing around and gasping? Why is it okay to kill here?

I had so many questions circling around in my head to the point where I felt slightly dizzy. Francesa and Matteo emerged from the crowd and ran towards us. I hid my face in Leonardo's chest. Francesa held my hand tightly.

"Dante, please tell your father to leave her alone. That's all we ask. Please." I heard Francesa say, he replied but I couldn't make it out before I blacked out.

——

authors note:

𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐲 𝐢𝐬 𝐟𝐢𝐧𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐲 𝐜𝐨𝐦𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐭𝐨𝐠𝐞𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫! 𝐰𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐚𝐫𝐞 𝐰𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐤𝐢𝐧𝐠?