015

Anastasia Russo:

I woke up the next day to the irritating iphone alarm going off. I immediately turned over to silence it, once I did I began scrolling on my phone to wake myself up.

As I was scrolling through I felt a sudden familiar cramp in my stomach. I knew this feeling. I quickly rolled out of bed and felt a flood of panic go through me as I stared at the blood stained sheets and my stained pajamas. It's been months since i've gotten my period. God, why now?

I imagined how mad father would be, I imagined him hitting me like my stepfather used to do. Would father do something that vile? How can I trust him? Even if he is my biological father I still don't know him well enough.

I felt tears brimming in my eyes as I started planning ways and excuses to cover this up.

I once stained my stepfathers bed when I was napping on it. I was only 13, I didn't know how to keep track of a period back then. I remember how hard he hit me, how disgusting he said I was. The look of shame on his face as he watched me scrub the sheets clean with bleach and my bare hands.

That is a day i'll never forget.

Suddenly, I heard a patterned knock on my door.

"Principessa my love? Are you awake? Can we come in?" Said fathers deep voice coming from the other end of the door.

We? Whose we? Probably Lorenzo like always.

"No! No please don't come in i'm uh- changing." I shouted in a trembling voice. I had my back to the door incase they tried opening it.

"What's wrong sorellina?" Asked Lorenzo as he gently knocked on the door a few more times.

I couldn't control my tears after hearing someone ask what was wrong. Everything. Everything was wrong.

"I need Francesa." I managed to say between sobs.

"Open the door my love, please." Begged father in a gentle loving voice.

I stayed quiet with the door shut until I heard light footsteps approaching the door, and more loud ones following.

"Sorellina baby? It's me. I'm here, so let me in or tell me what's wrong." Said Francesa's soft voice from the other end. I heard more and more people coming, until I was sure nearly the whole family was stood outside my door waiting for my response.

"I'm sorry," I muttered as I stared at the red stained sheets. I was preparing myself for a beating or whatever punishment they decide to give me.

I slowly twisted the doorknob and let the door open itself. I stood to the side as I saw their confused worried expressions.

"Please don't kick me out. Please don't hurt me." I said inbetween cries as I hid my puffy face in my elbow.

Father stood at the front, he looked confused but mostly concerned as he walked towards me.

Everyone was there. Lorenzo, Elio, Leonardo, Enzo, Matteo and Francesa had all appeared outside my door in a matter of minutes.

"Why would I ever hurt you for something that you can't help?" Father asked as he pulled my head against his chest. "Don't ever think like that. Ever. We are not like him my love. We are your family."

I cried on fathers chest. Elio came and began rubbing my back in comforting circles. I watched as Francesa and Enzo changed the sheets.
Matteo and Leonardo came in soon after with 3 huge boxes of pads and tampons, which made me burst out laughing. Francesa gave them a blank stare.

I didn't even realise Lorenzo had left until I checked my phone and saw a new message from him.

"If you ever need anything, call me. I'm serious Anastasia. Anything."

I read the text over and over, it gave me a sense of comfort that I rarely felt. I enjoyed this, feeling special and loved for the first time.

Francesa scurried everyones off once the sheets were changed and my drawers were packed with sanitary products. She stayed and taught me a few things about my period.

I sat on once side of the bed and she sat on the other as I listened to her carefully explain how periods work, why we get them and that it's natural and I should never be ashamed of it. I know it sounds babyish, i'm a 16 year old and only learning about this now. But mother never taught me. I was only taught to be ashamed of my period from my stepfather.

When Francesa left and all the commotion was over, I finally began getting ready for school.