014

Anastasia Russo:

The following day I awoke to bright rays of sun hitting my eyes. I realised I must've fell asleep again. I rolled over in my bed and unplugged my phone. The time read 11:02.

How did I manage to sleep in for so long? I stumbled out of bed onto the cold floor and slipped on the slippers left for me. After washing up and brushing my teeth I began to recall the events from yesterday.

I have so many questions. But most importantly, what kind of community was my family apart of? Everyone seemed violent, ready to kill. Yet sophisticated and well mannered at the same time.

I slid open my bedroom door, to my surprise Lorenzo and Elio were having a conversation right outside it. They both paused and looked at me.

"Let me see your arm." Ordered lorenzo as he approached me. Elio gave him an annoyed look.

I took out my hand from my pocket and showed it to him to avoid conflict. He held it gently and examined the marks left from the mans grip.

"Did it hurt?" Elio asked out of the blue.
"It's fine, really." I insisted, knowing what this would lead to.
"That wasn't the question." Said Lorenzo coldly.

I looked up at him with tears brimming in my eyes. I hated when he was so pushy with questions. He sighed and dropped my arm.

"She'll start today." He ordered, turning to Elio.
Elio had a shocked expression.

"Starting what? God why don't I get told anything?!" I whined as I shoved Lorenzo's hand off me. He gave me an annoyed look, I tried to give one back.

"You're starting training," Said a voice emerging from the hallway. Leonardo came out to face us.

"Training? What do you mean?" I pleaded, confused as ever. The three of them exchanged a few looks.

"Combat training. You need to learn how to defend yourself." Said Elio as he ruffled my hair.

I sighed and accepted defeat. I wouldn't mind learning how to defend myself, i'd be grateful actually. If I knew how to defend myself back then my mother wouldn't be dead and I wouldn't have these scars and bruises.

I nodded and followed them downstairs. They lead me into the empty dining hall with less food than usual laid out on the table.

"Where is everyone?" I asked as I sat down in my usual spot.

"Enzo, Francesa and Matteo have school sorellina. Father's at work and Leonardo's helping him out today." Replied Elio as he dished some fruit onto my plate. I looked down, feeling embarrassed of my stupid question. Also the fact that I should be at school with them.

"You need to eat something other than fruit and chicken nuggets." Said Lorenzo as he sat down, Elio laughed but I could tell he wasn't joking.

After breakfast, Lorenzo escorted me to a different part of the mansion. We walked through a few long unrecognisable hallways and up a couple of stairways until we reached a room. It looked like a whole gym. He took my hand and lead me towards the punching bag section.

"Let's see if you can throw a punch." He said sounding a bit sarcastic with his arms crossed against his chest.

I looked at the punching bag then back at him.
I made my hand into a fist and punched it with most of my strength, it hurt and worst of all it didn't move an inch. I thought he would laugh or tease me but he just stood with a blank expression.

"Again. This time imagine it's someone who you hate. Someone you wish you could hurt." His words stung me as I immediately remembered my stepfathers disgusting face.

I nodded and pictured him in my mind. I pictured his fists slamming into me again and again. He always hit me where it hurt. I went again, this time I felt my force slamming into the bag. It flew back a bit. Lorenzo looked pleased. He applauded me and went on to teach me a few more tactics.

—-

After training for about an hour, I had a shower and went downstairs to relax in the living quaters. Matteo came home early, he sat with me on the couch for a while talking and catching me up on what i'd missed in school.

I lay there on his chest long enough to fall asleep. I was woken up to Elio patting me awake asking me what I wanted for dinner.

"Chicken nuggets would be good," I said with a smile, Matteo laughed and agreed.

"Lorenzo said you're not allowed. He wants you to eat a proper meal." Elio replied as he switched off the cartoon Matteo was watching.

"Well Lorenzo isn't my dad." I complained, sinking back into Matteo's chest on the couch.

"She's becoming more like me everyday," Laughed Francesa as she walked into the living quarters. She still had her school bag and coat on, i'm guessing her and Enzo just came home.

"Where's Enzo? Is father and Leonardo home yet?" I asked her as she slumped down on the couch beside us.

"Enzo's with his girlfriend." She replied. I felt a bit shocked, i'm sure I looked it too. I decided to not ask too many questions and wait for Enzo to return to ask him myself.

—-

I was escorted to the dining hall around half an hour later.

I sat looking at my plate. Steak, potatoes and veggies. It looked expensive and fresh and I didn't want to waste it. But I also knew I wouldn't be able to eat something like this. I'm still not used to it.

I looked up at Lorenzo who had his eyes already glued on me. Great. He wants to watch me eat so there's no way in hiding it.

"I don't feel well." I quickly said as I unlocked eye contact with Lorenzo who let out a disappointed sigh.

"I can bring you to your room-" Said Enzo who was immediately interrupted by Lorenzo.

"That won't be necessary. You're staying here until I dismiss you." He ordered brutally. I rolled my eyes at him which made Francesa smirk proudly.

A few moments later, father and Leonardo joined the table. As father came in he kissed me on the forehead and ruffled my hair. I started at Leonardo who looked a bit rough. I hope the man from yesterday didn't hurt him.

"Principessa. Do you think you'd like to try school again tomorrow? If you still don't want to homeschooling is also an option." Asked father mid dinner. I haven't considered going back since I left. As I sat there I realised I barely even gave it a try, I didn't even attend one class.

"I'll go tomorrow." I said quietly as I poked around with the food on my plate. Father gave me a proud grin and I felt Francesa pat me on the back twice.

During dinner, I managed to shove some steak onto a tray being picked up by a waitress. I'm not sure if Lorenzo noticed but he did give me an unpleasant look as I got up.

I was kissed goodnight by everyone before being escorted upstairs. What's the deal with never being able to do anything by myself here?