017

Anastasia Russo:

I watched Dante carefully for the rest of the class. I examined his every move in fear that he'd suddenly strike.

Although, most of the lesson he sat combing through his hair with his hands, twirling his pen and lazily leaning his face on his arms.

The bell rang and i'd almost forgotten I was in class. I quickly got up, hoping he'd forget his little declaration to show me around.

To my dismay, he strided over to me, dragging all if the attention on to us again.

"You don't have to go with him if you don't want to. Don't let my brother intimidate you," Whispered Naomi.

She gave me a reassuring smile before I looked back at him.

"Come." He said as he took my arm and dragged me along with him, I heard the class breK out into murmur as we left.

His grip was tight on my arm as he lead me through the corridors. I was scared. I decided to play the silent game so I wouldn't have to answer any unnecessary questions.

After walking around for a bit he finally stopped outside a door and faced me.

"You're quiet, aren't you?" He said teasingly as he pushed the door open. I gave no response.

The door opened to reveal a large library with 2 floors and spiral staircases. There were thousands of books and tables and couches where you could sit and read, I even noticed a small cafe in the corner.

"Wow.." I whispered, finally breaking my silence and taking it all in.

"Your father told me you like reading. We are close, him and I. He always told me about his lost daughter, how he was willing to do anything to find her. Now look at her, standing infront of me as I speak." He said as he confidently stepped forward and offered me a hand up the steps.

I ignored his smug attitude and shoved his hand away, then found my way to a empty table with him following behind me.

"Stubborn I see. Just like your sister," He smirked and sat down next to me with his arm flung around my shoulder.

"You may have saved me once, but I don't owe you, nor do I like you. Or your father." I announced coldly. I slightly shivering just remembering the night with Dante and Mr Rodrigez.

I excpected him to leave, or at least remain quiet but he smirked and pulled himself closer to me.

"It's rare to find someone willing to speak to me with that amount of disrespect, Anastasia. Even your older brothers don't dare to talk to me like that." He whispered so that it was only me who could hear it. His breath felt warm against my ear.

I thought for a moment. Dante knew what was so special about my family, if they weren't planning on telling me maybe he could.

"I do want something from you." I declared after sitting in silence for a minute.

He looked amused and nodded. "Whatever the princess requests."

I rolled my eyes. "I want to know the secret my family is hiding from me. Why do they own so many guns? And how are they so rich?"

His smile faded. He looked at me, completely serious all of a sudden.

"Your father is a Mafia boss, and my father is his partner. The other families and people there that night all work for us. That's why we're so respected." He said without hesitation.

I laughed for a second, thinking it was another tease or foolish joke. When his expression didn't change, I realised he was serious. My family, my father owned the Mafia. Which means i'm apart of the Mafia.

"No..no, why? Why would they keep this from me?!" I said inbetween panicked breaths, tears started falling uncontrollably, even though I really didn't want to cry around him.

"To protect you." He said carefully. My breathing felt worse. Shit. I knew this feeling. Not here, not now.

Not with him.

My mind went blank as I began gasping for air and grabbing onto the surfaces around me. He immediately brought me into his arms and placed a hand on my chest.

"Breath. Breath Anastasia." He whispered to my ear.

My breathing slowed down slightly, the sound of his voice was strangely comforting and I hated it.

"Breath." He repeated, over and over again until my breathing was finally normal, now I was weakly laying in his arms with wet cheeks and puffy eyes.

I took out my phone from my back pocket and handed it to him. "Call Enzo," I managed to whisper before shutting my eyes in his arms.

I hadn't realised I fell asleep until I was awoken to Francesa gently combing my hair behind my ears and humming sweetly.

"Honey, are you okay?" She said in a comforting voice as I sat up.

"Yeah, I just wanna go home." I said with my eyes barely opened.

Once they were fully up I saw Enzo stood next to Matteo, they were talking to Dante. Naomi was there too, next to Dante, she was looking at me before I even noticed her.

"Shut up guys, she's awake!" She tried whispering to them as she ran towards me.

Their eyes fell on me as Naomi sat next to Francesa and looked at me with pitiful eyes.
Dante was staring at me intensely, I wouldn't forget the moment we had and how he calmed me down so quickly. Neither would he.

Enzo and Matteo looked concerned, but Matteo still managed to give me a smile to cheer up the atmosphere. I loved him for that.

"Take her to the car." Ordered Enzo. Francesa nodded and pulled me up so that my arm was around her shoulder. We took slow steps to the exit. As we were leaving I looked back at Dante one last time. And remembered what he told me.