020

Anastasia Russo:

The van came to an abrupt stop, I peered out the window and got a quick glimpse of our surroundings. We were parked outside of a huge expensive building surrounded with trees. We're in the middle of a forest.

Enzo's hand pulled me outside and helped me down. There were other expensive cars parked outside the building along with guards at every angle. I spotted father and Lorenzo walking away with a few men in suits.

"Remember the rules sorellina. Don't talk to anyone." Matteo's voice whispered into my ear, slightly startling me.
I nodded as he walked off to join Enzo and Francesa who were following behind Elio.

Closest to me was Leonardo, he was pouring himself a glass of wine. I approached him slowly and tugged at his blazer.
"What is this?" I urged as he took gulps of the red liquid in the glass.
"Shut up and stick with me." He spoke roughly as he gripped my arm and dragged me inside the building.

I was greeted with bright lights and loud chatter. Women in expensive jewellery and men in one of a kind suits. Was this another one of those meetings with the mafia? If it was that means every single person in this hall, including me, is apart of the mafia.

I scanned the hall trying to find my family, when finally I spotted a familiar face. Naomi was stood talking to two older men, although she didn't appear scared or worried. Maybe they were her family. I was excited to see her at first, but then realised if Naomi is here Dante is too.

It doesn't matter, I wouldn't be able to talk to them anyway.

Leonardo was on his phone, texting someone. He didn't seem in the mood for talking. I looked over at Naomi again who was now on her own by the drinks.

"Can I go grab some water? I'll come right back." I whispered. Leonardo looked up and scanned the area near the drinks, then nodded.

"2 minutes." He said strictly.

I quickly let go of his hand and rushed towards the beverages, then nudged Naomi's shoulder.

She turned around and immediately pulled me into a hug when she saw my face.
"Ana! I knew you'd be here. It's so nice to finally see another teenage girl apart from Francesa at these things." She said excitedly.
I nodded and smiled.
"Ahh, I see. You're not allowed to talk. My father made me do that too on my first time." She laughed.

"Anastasia." Said a familiar voice from behind.
"Leave her alone Dante, she wouldn't even talked to you if she could." Said Naomi.
I couldn't hold in my laughter as I turned to see Dante's cunning expression. He was clearly enjoying my silence.
His blonde hair was slicked back today. His good looks make him even more irritating.

"You better watch out Russo. Tonight this place is far from safe." He said in a serious tone, and turned my chin towards a group of men.
I looked at them, confused as to why I was.
He laughed at my puzzled face, then pointed towards the mens back pockets.

Each of them was armed with a gun. I looked at the other people in the hall and started noticing everything I was missing before. A woman had a miniature blade strapped to the side of her heel, a man next to her was having what seemed to be a lighthearted conversation with a pistol hidden up his sleeve.

I looked to Naomi who was now distracted on her phone and realised even she was armed with a gun camouflaged in her black dress.

Everyone here was ready to strike, except me.
Dante smiled and tilted his head. "Scared now aren't we?" He said, cruelly mocking my fear.

Suddenly an alarm blared and the room turned red, women started screaming, gunshots fired and everyone was rushing out for the only exit.
My hands and lips began quivering in fear, I stood still, not knowing what to do. I looked over at Naomi who was being ushered put by her bodyguards, then to where Leonardo was standing before, he was gone.

The crowd became wilder, and gunshots became more frequent. I was pushed over to the floor, I winced in pain as people rushed past me.
Tears rolled down my cheeks, my breathing felt heavy and all I could do was huddle up in a ball and hope my death would be quick and painless.

Suddenly, I was lifted over a muscular shoulder. I wasn't sure who it was but I held on tightly and closed my eyes imagining father was with me.

"You really are helpless." Spoke the same voice I heard less than a few minutes ago. I peeled open my eyes to see Dante gently lifting me down into the passengers seat of his Bugatti.

He sat in the drivers seat and started the car.

"Wait! I need to leave with my family, they'll be looking for me." I urged desperately.
"You wanna go back into the shooting and look for your daddy? Go ahead but I won't be there to save your ass again." He spoke ruthlessly.
"Where are you gonna take me then?" I asked, trying to hide my wet cheeks.
"To my place. Your father will be there by the morning." He said as we began driving.
I had more questions, I wanted to ask where my family was, or if Leonardo was okay. But I could tell he was annoyed for having to save me anyway. I don't know why he did.

I looked out the window and let myself drift off into sleep as the drive went on.