20. Bad Day

Noelle Thornbury

"How are you awake?" I groaned.

"I have to work, love."

"Jet lag." I mumbled.

She just chuckled, adjusting her hoop earring as she bent down, kissing my forehead.

"You should go back to bed then." She whispered.

"You should come with me." I opened my arms.

"No, I can't. I need to begin the process of taking over their business. I think I'll be late." She told me.

"How late?" I asked.

"I'll let you know. Call me if you need anything." She kissed my nose, grabbing my hand and squeezing it.

I immediately fell asleep again.

-

I sang, more like yelled, the lyrics over the Alexa to the song Meddle About by Chase Atlantic.

I had done a ton of cleaning.

Woke up at 2pm, cleaned all the upstairs rooms, especially our room and bathroom as well as laundry, but I dusted the furniture in the guest rooms.

Then I napped. From 4 to 7, and then I ordered myself Panda Express over DoorDash, even though I could've gotten it myself.

I swept, mopped, changed the laundry to the dryer, vacuumed over the couch for no good reason.

Now, 8:45pm, I was doing the dishes and having a dance party.

She hadn't called, I texted but got no answer.

Half of me worried because there are things I don't know and she told me that too.

But half of me knew she was busy and with her fathers.

I called, nothing, immediate voicemail.

Me: are you alright?

Malia: fine<3

Called again, immediately declined, straight to voicemail.

I frowned, this thing killing my vibe.

I turned the music off, starting the dish washer before sitting on the couch, covering myself with a blanket, going to Netflix, watching Trolls.

Once again, I was tired, I fell asleep.

-

I gasped when I woke up, the TV off, the garage opening, sounding through the walls.

I checked the time, it was midnight, no texts or calls.

I wasn't upset, more annoyed if anything.

I stood, turning lights on, the garage door opening.

"What are you doing up?" The voice of silk and slight irritation asked.

I turned, gasping.

Red. Everywhere, smeared lipstick, red all over her chest, arms, hands, on her throat.

"Not mine." She answered my mental question.

"I-what happened?" I asked.

"Not something you need to hear." She replied, a slight smile on her face.

She looked insane.

"So you don't answer me all day, come home like this, and expect to not be questioned?" I frowned.

"Kind of, yeah." She pulled her heels off, walking and placing them on the shoe rack.

"Is that how it's going to be all the time? Is this why you were extra nice to me on our honeymoon?" I asked and she rolled her eyes.