26. Overwhelmed

Okay, two dynamics to be aware of!
Noelle is an overthinker, easily makes up scenarios that fuck with her head.
Malia isn't, she's a realist.

IF YOURE A REALIST, some people do think how Noelle does, that's okay, it's reality.
She isn't annoying or emotional, she's just a worried person.

Thank you.

Noelle Thornbury

I couldn't sleep. No matter how warm or cozy I was, I was sweating, my gut twisting, something just not working for me.

An anxious feeling, like I was doing something wrong.

Restless, like I needed to pace.

I looked at Malia. My hand cupping her face, the warmth of her skin soothing my cold hand.

I don't understand what I am feeling.

I have no idea what I want.

Obviously her. But I'm terrified that I don't know what she can actually do.

She grabbed my wrist and her eyes fluttered open.

"Why are you awake?" She squinted from the moonlight coming through the window covered in raindrops.

"Can't sleep." I answered.

"You need to baby." She whispered.

"I know." I smiled, recalling all the attempts I took of it, my thoughts swallowing me whole instead.

"Come on." She whispered, sitting up.

"Why? You don't have to get up." I frowned.

She ignored me and pulled on a zip up jacket, holding open a soft blanket for me.

I stood, walking around the bed and letting her wrap me in it.

She had me follow her down the stairs, she grabbed her phone and car keys before opening the garage door.

I didn't question her as she opened my side for me and I sat down.

She got in, rubbing her eyes softly, starting the car and turning on the heat.

She pulled up the center console that acted as another seat. She pulled me so I was lying down, my head on her lap.

She backed out and the rain began pelting over the car the sound soothing as the heater soothed my goosebumps.

Her hands melted into my hair, massaging my scalp.

"I know you. I know you're thinking. I know you're nervous." She confronted my issues as I read the digital clock that read 3:23 am.

"I'm not bad for you. With all the strength in me, I will forever protect you, fight for you. I know what I may do is scary. But no hands will harm a hair on your head, especially never mine. I haven't this entire time, it won't change." She whispered, rubbing my arm over the blanket.

"Stop thinking, you're safe. I'm here. You never have to know anything if you don't want to." She gently scratched my scalp, making my head grow heavy.

She stopped the car, putting it in park, the rain pouring harder.

I had a feeling I knew my fear. Nothing to do with her job. Her choices. It's losing her because of the darker aspect of her job.

I couldn't be alone. Anything can happen, and I can't be left alone.

I felt my throat close. It was stupid, but the truth.

I've met people who laid on someone's lap but months later it becomes a pillow, no warmth underneath their head any longer, no heartbeat.

"Malia?" I whispered.

She immediately tensed, a tear fell from my eye, onto her thigh.

"Yes?"

"Have you ever been hurt by a weapon?" I croaked, swallowing the lump.

All I know is movies. That's all.

"No, I've been scratched with a knife, grazed, never stabbed, never shot." She petted my hair.

I felt my heart hammer.

"Stop. Stop overthinking. You're making up things that aren't reality. I'm here. My voice is real, my skin is real, my love is real. This isn't going anywhere." She told me, grabbed me out of the blanket, pulling me onto her lap.

I hugged her, trying to stop.

She held onto me, leaning her chair back, waiting until we were almost lying down in the car.

My head was on her chest, she wrapped the blanket around us from behind me.

I breathed her in, listening to the rain.

"I love you Noelle. I'm never leaving. I know my bounds, if anything is too risky, I have my fathers. But it is my job. I'll stop if that's what you need from me, but I'll need time to get things in order." She said.

I shook my head.

"No, you don't have to. It's just me." I kissed her chest, lying back down.

She began humming, her voice soft, but so nice.

I pulled down her tank top, her boob in one of my hands, the other in my mouth.

There was nothing better than this. Her soft skin was soothing, her breathing controlled with her hums.

She scratched my back and I sighed, shutting my eyes.

Finally, able to doze.

"I love you, my girl." A kiss to my head.

I was out.