31. Panera Bread

Malia Thornbury

I held her hand as she was getting my eggs there were successfully fertilized placed into her.

I adjusted the mask I wore, her eyes clamped shut.

"You're doing very good, my love." I told her and she nodded, her hand squeezing mine.

I waited, praying this worked so she wouldn't have to do it again if she didn't want to.

She was clearly uncomfortable and I hated it.

"We will eat after this, what do you want?" I asked knowing she was hungry and hadn't eaten before the appointment because of nerves.

"Panera Bread."

"What do you get there?"

"Cheddar and broccoli soup in a sour dough bread bowl." She looked at me and my gloved hand cupped her face.

"You're doing very well sweetheart. We will get that right after." I nodded.

"And can I have caramel M&M's after?" She asked.

"Whatever you'd like." I nodded.

My dad's were in the waiting room, nervous since they only learned we were doing this a few weeks ago during my egg retrieval.

"Do you want just us 2 or you want to go with them too?" I asked.

"They'll come." She nodded.

"Alright. All done." The doctor said, her eyes showing her smile.

"It's looking so good. We will keep you updated and have you take tests every Monday, for the next 6 weeks. But they're not ordinary tests. They're the little sticks that show the color in shades. So next Monday it'll be so faint. The next one, darker, it'll keep darkening until you come in, then I can absolutely confirm you're pregnant. Keep in mind, mental health is very important, optimism no matter what happens, good food, water, exercise, all of it is very good. And when I say good food I'm talking carbs and vitamins, not dieting." She laughed, removing her gloves, washing her hands as I helped Noelle sit up.

"Alright and the tests, do we need to get them here?" I asked.

"No. Here they're expensive, dollar store will work just fine. But don't get the automatic ones that tell you, you need the colored lines so you can see how it darkens. Spotting is going to be normal fyi." She informed.

"Thank you. So much." Noelle smiled.

"Absolutely. I'm grateful to be your doctor during this journey. Thank you both. Take care." She smiled.

-

"Wait so it'll darken then what?" Pa asked.

Dad laughed.

"No my dear, it'll just darken, letting them know if it's working or not." Dad said.

"Oh. Okay." He shrugged, eating the sandwich.

Noelle barely spoke as she shoved the food down and I laughed, my hand over her thigh, patting.

She looked at me.

"You alright?" I asked.

"Starving. I should've eaten breakfast." She answered.

I rubbed her back as I ate the same thing she did.

"Are you okay though, dove?" My dad asked her and I smiled, but wondered the same thing.

"I don't know. It's surreal. I don't think I feel anything." She shrugged.

"That's understandable. But it's okay if things get hard.  Or you begin to get scared, it's alright. And all of us are here for you. Same with you, Lia, we're here for you. If either of you need anything ever, we're here." Pa told her and I didn't care so much for myself as I did her.

I was fine, ecstatic, ready to massage my gorgeous pregnant wife, feed her, pleasure her, I was absolutely fine with it.

But I did fear her pain if it didn't work out.

However, with tests, I'm incredibly fertile. Her uterus is very compatible with growing a baby.

So, I'm of course wishing for a baby. But until the next six weeks we're up, her emotions and mental health was my priority above everything, then it'll be making sure the pregnancy runs smooth for her mentally, physically, and emotionally.

Same thing but different circumstances.

She's always been my priority though.

Obviously.

I kissed her temple, smoothing back the baby hairs into her bun as I adored the way her cheeks puffed with the mouthful of bread.

"Thank you guys. I'm very grateful." She said softly, covering her mouth with her hand since it was full.

"Always, honey. You deserve it all. You two will be incredible parents." Pa said but I knew by the expression on his face he was holding back from fangirling about being a grandpa.

I winked at him and he clapped his hand together.

My dad laughed, kissing his shoulder.

Life was going to be great.