Chapter 23 - Cries Of Pain

Cassandra's POV

Every thing seems to have settled down. It's been quiet around here, no one stepped out of line, not even the worst teens. I shook my head and rubbed my temples, in an attempt to get rid of the headache that's coming along.

I let out a loud sigh as I got out of bed. I did my morning routine, opening the window before leaving the room. It's quite early in the morning, so I'm not surprised to see the kids asleep. I tucked them in a little further and walked back out. I have a nagging feeling that something horrible is going to happen today.

I frown as I left Scarlett's room. It's not even funny anymore. I've had the same feeling since last night, I've learnt to trust my instincts. My wolf has been acting up, she's been anxious.

I made my way down to the kitchen and ate some cereal. After doing the dishes and I left the house for a run. Checked on border patrols. Not a single scent out of the ordinary.

I relaxed as soon as I got to the lake. Taking in the fresh air I slumped down to the floor, too tired to care about anyone watching. I laid my head on my paws and looked up at the sky. The morning sun just barely starting to become visible; a few stars still lingered in the sky. I watched the sun rise, the beautiful colours all throughout the sky. The beauty of it mesmerising. It felt like the calm before a storm.

Shaking my fur as I stood up, getting rid of dirt that embedded into it; I made my way home in a lazy stroll. I shifted to human and walk into the house; washed my hands before starting to make mozzarella cheese. It takes a good few hours to make it, but I had enough time before they awoke. I managed to make fresh bread, eggs and bacon. Just as I set the last bits of food on the table. Everyone sat down and began to munch in after prayer. I smile at the compliments that I received about the fresh cheese.

I watched as Scarlett finally came down for breakfast. She's been having a fever lately which is very dangerous, considering that we already have a very high body temperature. I frown slightly as I saw how pale she really was. She seemed to be getting worse. I've kept her in bed most of the time. Medicine didn't seem to work either. Just the old wet rag that seem to cool her down slightly.

She smiled at me and gave me a kiss. "Morning mom." She said in a raspy whisper. Once I returned the greeting, I reached up to feel her forehead. She was cooler than she previously has been for the last week. "I'm fine." She said giving me a reassuring smile. I nodded at her and gave her a soft smile.

After breakfast I went to the training grounds. I trained the men and women, with the help of Scar. "Move it! Move it! Move it!" I shouted as they started to slow down. They had a lap left. Scar blew the whistle, telling everyone that training was done for the day and praising them. People gathered their waters and training equipment and put it away before leaving.

I sat down lazily on the grass. My chest wasn't heaving and my heart wasn't pounding in my ears. Even though I had done as much as the soldiers did, I didn't break a sweat, neither did Scar.

I felt the wind rustle my hair before a piercing scream cut through the calm. I jumped on my feet as my heart started pumping harder in my chest. Blood rushed to my ears.
Those cries of pain belong to Scarlett.

I ran towards the noise. Sean following close behind. I stopped at the sight before me. In the middle of the clearing laying in the grass was Scarlett. She had blood dripping from her mouth and nose. I kneeled beside her. Words escaped my mouth, but I couldn't make sense of things. Cracks filled the air along with her cries. "Please make it stop!" She cries softly with tears in her eyes, dripping down her cheeks.