Chapter 28 - Welcome Home

Cassandra's POV

The drive back took all the energy from me, but I was excited to see my family. I missed my kids and Sean, phi even though we're not on the best terms right now. All my problems could stay at the back of my mind for the rest of today.  I parked my car in front of my house, and the rumbling of my engine was cut short as I switched it off. I don't know what I was expecting once I stepped foot in my own land for the first time in weeks. Maybe a welcome home, but instead I received the dead silence of the night.

I stepped out of my car, grabbed my luggage and proceeded on my way up the front steps. I unlocked the door and walked in. The soft sound of the children's breathing could be heard if I strained my hearing, meaning that they're asleep. Looking down at my Rolex it's only 8 pm. Way too early for the older kids to be asleep. I let out a quiet sigh and began ascending the long staircase to my bedroom. I checked on the kids on the way to the room. I opened the bedroom door with a silent breath, hoping Sean was in the room. To my disappointment he wasn't, I drop my luggage by the closet door and then made my way down to my office.

Since I didn't have my key card, I knocked on the office door. The resounding sound could be heard through the quiet house. Soon after the door opened. The first thing I noticed was my mate's shriveled hair and stubble. His luscious lips were begging me to kiss him as they parted slightly in surprise. His eyes widen slightly when he noticed it was me. Sean's suit jacket was obstructing my view of his white shirt, 3 of it's buttons undone. His black suit trousers accentuated his perfectly round butt.

The first thing that came to my attention, after I cleared my head of my thoughts was how tired he looked. I pressed my hand to the side of his face and watched as he took a deep breath. He took me in his arms and kissed me passionately. The emotions running through me were wild. My chest felt heavy with the weight of the tears I wanted to shed, at how relieved I am to see him. Sean pulled me closer, shut the door and inhaled my scent. I was secretly doing the same, even if we had argued before all was forgiven. I missed him too much, spending such long period of time apart was driving me insane.

"Forgive me, I have not been the best mate since I left." I said walking past him and facing my desk in shame, with my arms crossed. Sean shortens the space between us, until his arms are wrapped around my waist. I feel his lips on my neck and his breath fanning over my jawline. "There is nothing for me to forgive, it is I who has to ask for forgiveness. I apologize you had no choice in the matter, you're instincts as Alpha had taken over. The weak can never forgive, forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." Sean's deep voice broke the silence.

I was shocked beyond my words. "Forgiveness is not easy. At times, it feels more painful than the wound we suffered, to forgive the one who inflicted it upon us and yet there is no peace without it." I replied. "Holding onto anger, resentment and hurt will only give you tense muscles, a headache and a sore jaw from clenching your teeth. Take it from experience." He argued back. "Many times, the decisions we make affect our loved ones. I have many regrets as it is. I am not here to argue with you."

I sat at my desk and switched on my computer. "I hope you don't mind if I write up my report, and send it to the council." I told him whilst typing in my password. "No, go ahead. Here's your key." Sean said handing me my office key and grabbing a file on my desk. He sat at his own desk and started to type up. I wrote the report and emailed it within half an hour.  I picked up a file on my desk and flicked through it. I began to sign what need to be signed. I then proceeded to read information about how the pack has been running. I shut down my computer.

I looked across the room to Sean and just observed. I couldn't help but admire him. He had taken off his jacket and placed it behind him on the chair. His sleeves were rolled up  and he was concentrating on his work. I bit my lip and stayed quiet.