The Blood inside you is the Blood inside me Part 2

A car had been waiting to pick up Charlotte to take her to Marcus' private apartment, one away from Volturi headquarters. There were days when he felt he had to get away from the usual politics of the coven. This week was one of them. His actions had not been questioned by Aro or Caius. But he knew Aro, especially, wanted to know why he didn't want to attend the meeting to discuss the disposition of the woman whose life he had saved.

When Charlotte arrived at the apartment she would be staying, she knocked tentatively on the simple wooden door. It opened to reveal Marcus, his usual taciturn behavior marred only by a small smile directed at Charlotte. "Come in, my child. Welcome to my humble hide out."

Charlotte smiled in turn. "Was that a joke I just heard, Marcus? I take it sitting around the Volturi presence chamber is not to your liking."

His voice was low and melancholy. "At one time, it might have been more productive. But not anymore. I just want it finished."

Charlotte didn't ask what he wanted finished, but she felt she knew. Of course, she didn't really know him that well. The emotions she felt radiating from him, however, almost made her cry, they were that strong. "Well, you have me for a few days, as ordered. So what can I do for you?"

He turned his gaze in her direction, and attempted a smile, but ignored her question. "You may put your suitcase into that closet over there. I am sorry I do not have proper accommodations for you. The couch is comfortable however."

"It's not a problem, Marcus. I'm happy to be here." She covered her mouth with her hand to suppress a chuckle when she saw his eyebrows rise. "I want to know one thing. Why did you save my life? I mean, really."

The man had no time to answer, even if it had been his intention, because just then someone knocked on the door. Charlotte opened it to find a young man holding out a large bag. Food, she thought, if the delicious aroma meant anything. He rambled on in Italian and she just nodded, understanding only a word here and there. She accepted the bag eagerly. Marcus walked over and replied to the young man in Italian, handing him some money. He then closed the door quickly.

"I thought you might like some real Italian cooking. Nothing fancy, but nourishing for you. The kitchen is that way." He pointed to the right arched doorway.

Charlotte walked down a short hall to the kitchen, old fashioned, but functional. When she saw her benefactor behind her, she set down the bag and hunted for plates and utensils. "Would you like any, Marcus?"

Holding up his hand, he declined politely. "My diet is somewhat restricted these days, child. Enjoy yourself, please."

The two talked about nothing of importance, basically to pass the time while she ate. Once done, she washed the dishes and placed the leftovers in the refrigerator. She was surprised to see no food inside, but she didn't make any mention of it. She excused herself to use the bathroom upstairs and brush her teeth. Refreshed and ready for bed, she returned downstairs to join her host.

Looking around the sitting room, she noticed some bookcases filled with old volumes, most first editions. Checking out a few, Charlotte asked Marcus how he had obtained them. He seemed to perk up some when telling her about his collection. She saw some old records but no record player. She knew in America, record players were difficult to find what with so many other options, like her i-pad. It may have been worse here in Italy, especially in the countryside. But surely if the Volturi family had money, Marcus could order one from anywhere in the world. Speaking of which, Charlotte went to the closet to find her i-pad in her suitcase. She was fiddling with it when she sat on the couch.

"You like music, Marcus. I have an entire collection of just about anything you might want to hear. My tastes are widespread over continents and eras.

"Once I fancied myself quite the dancer, but not anymore. The Renaissance feels so long ago," he seemed to lament.