The Blood inside you is the Blood inside me Part 3

Charlotte lay on the couch, now alone in the small apartment. Marcus had excused himself a couple of hours ago. He never told her where he was going, and she never asked. Enjoying reading one his old volumes about Italian history, it wasn't long before she fell asleep...and had a dream.

Charlotte heard a noise and rose from the couch. The room was dark, illuminated only by the radiant light of a few street lamps outside. The door opened and a dark figure entered the room. Charlotte was frozen to the spot, unable to move. The figure moved closer, until she felt a hand touch her cheek. Her eyes widened when she recognized Aro. He moved around her body, as if studying her. He stood behind her and placed a hand on her right shoulder, leaning toward the opposite ear, whispering into it.

"Sei la cosa più bella che mi sia mai capitata. Resta con me per sempre."

Charlotte didn't understand much Italian at all. But the tone sent chills down her back. She closed her eyes, and when she opened them...she saw she was alone and standing. Of course, it was just a dream. A walking dream. She put her hands over her face, rubbing her eyes.

Going to the bathroom, she washed her face over the sink with cold water, and then stripped to shower. While the hot water ran over her, she thought back to Aro's visit. She wondered why he had to be so arrogant about everything. He seemed fine with checking out Marcus' belongings, treating her like...gah, she couldn't even articulate into words how she felt about him. Aro made her so angry. And Marcus had the audacity to ask her if she liked him.

Leaving the shower after turning off the water, she wrapped the towel around her while she dried her hair with a smaller towel. There was no blow dryer here, but she did the best she could. The ever-present ponytail was the easiest way to arrange her hair.

She heard the front door open, and cracked the bathroom door a little, calling down to Marcus that she had just showered and was almost done. The voice that answered back was not that of her benefactor.

"It's not Marcus, Charlotte."

Charlotte cursed beneath her breath. What was Aro doing here, and why now? She popped her head out of the partially open door, and feeling annoyed, shouted, "I'll be down in a few minutes. I wish you had phoned ahead." When she heard light laughter coming from downstairs, she cursed the man.

Finishing up with her hair, she looked in the mirror, making sure there were not too many stray hairs. Glancing back at her reflection, she saw Aro standing behind her. Whirling around to face him, she pushed at his chest. "What are you doing in here? I said I'd be down in a few minutes!" She held her arms around her chest, making sure the towel did not slip off. She felt Aro's eyes roam over her. "And here I thought you were a gentleman, even if you do tend to treat people like your servants."

He had a mock hurt expression on his face, which changed to amusement. "I have something to tell you, Charlotte. But I'll wait downstairs for you to finish your dressing." Aro turned and left the bathroom, content in knowing that she was not very happy with him right now. Her spirit aroused him, not necessarily sexually, but he wanted her with him just the same. He imagined their disagreements would be passionate as would their reconciliations.

She looked out into the hall, calling down to Aro. "In case you have forgotten, I'm not your guest anymore!" Then she slammed the door.

Feeling put out, she quickly finished up. Once she was dressed, she put on a bit of makeup and slipped on some earrings. Then she went down the stairs to find Aro sitting in Marcus's chair, his legs crossed, his hands steepled. His gaze hit her like a wave of heat. She slowly sat on the couch and leaned back, one leg tucked under the other. "Why are you here?"