The Blood inside you is the Blood inside me Part 20

Charlotte told herself when she and Aro had made their trips to America and Santorini, she was happy to be out of Volterra, but the minute she re-entered the Volturi compound, it felt like home. Where Aro was, that was where she belonged. There was no going back, and as much as she missed her family and friends, this was her existence now.

The welcome home she received felt sincere, from at least most of the guard. Charlotte would have to deal with Jane and Alec eventually. She refused to live here with that little brat always a threat hanging over her head. Charlotte's place among the Volturi was assured by her status as Aro's mate, but apparently that didn't scare Jane into being more respectful. She probably assumed she was too valuable to Aro, and maybe she was. But Charlotte had decided she was not putting up with the blonde guard's antics any longer. She would still accept her friendship, if Jane tendered it. If not, one of them was going to lose, and Charlotte determined it wasn't going to be her.

 If not, one of them was going to lose, and Charlotte determined it wasn't going to be her

Caius greeted Charlotte with his usual hug and sarcastic remarks. She found herself loving him more and more as the exasperating older brother she could never get away from, not that she cared to try. "So you managed to elude the Cullen charm, sister?"

She pulled back, crossing her arms and stared at the blonde Volturi leader. "And what is that supposed to mean, Caius?"

"The holier-than-thou attitude of those deviants. They didn't try to convert you by capturing some animal for you to suck on?" He tried to appear serious, but his smirk was not easily hidden.

She hadn't informed Caius she'd already tried animal blood and didn't like it. Better that he not know, or he'd be making additional wise cracks.

Charlotte smacked him on the chest. "You are THE rudest creature I have ever known. You'd better be careful. If Aro makes nice with the Cullen clan, you may have to eat those words and maybe some deer blood too."

Making a face of disgust, Caius retorted, "Not if every last human disappeared from the face of the Earth."

Charlotte laughed, wondering what he would do should any of the Cullens decide to visit Volterra. Too bad he couldn't be sent away for the duration of any visit, but Charlotte would make sure he behaved...or else.

"Alright, brother, I understand. Now, do you know where Marcus is?" With Aro busy dealing with business he'd missed while they were out of the country, Charlotte was free to visit her adopted uncle.

"In the garden, I believe," Caius replied.

"Indoor or outdoor?" Charlotte preferred the indoor garden because of the fish pond. But the outdoor garden did have the better foliage, along with several benches and the stone gazebo to relax in.

"Outdoor. Now before you go ruining my appetite, I'm leaving. Don't forget, Heidi will be back in around 4 hours."

"Oh good grief, I had forgotten, but now that you mention it, I am getting hungry. Aro and I didn't drink from anyone while we were on the island. I'll see you later then, you scamp."