The Blood inside you is the Blood inside me Part 4

Charlotte wasn't as upset at being back at the Volturi compound as she had expected. She still missed Marcus, and wanted to find him to discuss what was going on. He knew things he wasn't sharing with her, so confronting him seemed the best way to go, even if Aro knew. If that one had a problem, he could come talk with her himself.

Opening the door of her room, she stood in the hall, hands on her hips, looking in both directions. It was empty. She ventured on a bit further, but when she reached the corner, she bumped headlong into one of the younger Volturi family members.

"I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to run into you..."

The young man grabbed her arms to steady her. "Demetri," he said. "It was my fault, Charlotte. Always in a hurry," he said, smiling at her.

"Demetri, do you know where Marcus is. I haven't been able to find him since my return. I'd really like to speak with him when he has the time."

"Of course, I can let him know you're asking for him when I see him. I had better go or Master Aro might get upset with me. Can't be late. Bye!" He turned and walked leisurely in the direction he'd came from.

Charlotte chuckled. Everyone here seemed to want to avoid upsetting Aro. Why were they so afraid of him? When he had taken her out a few days ago, he couldn't have been more charming. It seemed to her that he must be a man of two faces. So far he had only shown her his good side. Although she was curious about the reverse, she hoped never to see it personally directed at her.

What Charlotte didn't know was Aro had sent Demetri to find her once he felt she had left her room without permission. With Charlotte now imprinted on the tracker, she would never be able to elude the coven for the rest of her existence, if such an idea ever entered her mind.

Giving up on finding anyone, Charlotte returned to her room. She had a feeling something was going to happen soon. The air itself felt tense. Why did she feel it all had to do with her. The daily routine was beginning to wear on her now. Days turned into weeks, and still no Marcus. Aro had gotten busier and was less in attendance, but he would occasionally let Malia take Charlotte out for supper. For her part, she was happy he trusted them both to take these small sojourns, otherwise it meant having her meals brought in day after day ad nauseum.

Charlotte noticed Malia never ate, but would pay for the food, saying it was Master Aro's treat. She asked the young woman about her life in the compound, often hitting a brick wall in the conversation, but Malia did like talking about her childhood and had a wry sense of humour, hidden up to now.

One day, as promised, however long delayed, Aro came to Charlotte's room.

"Good afternoon, Charlotte. I thought, since I have a small break in my duties today, that you might like to see my art collection." He took her hand, then led her to a large room a few doors past his own chambers. Everything here had been stored in a climate controlled room to keep the treasures safe from moisture and parasites. Charlotte asked him why he kept it all away from public eyes. "They are not only valuable, but I come here to imagine other eras, surrounded by the beauty of those times. Some pieces are scattered around the compound, as you may have noticed."

Charlotte wanted to remind him she hadn't been allowed into many areas of the compound, but didn't want anything to spoil this time with him. She began to slowly check out pieces displayed in glass cases or laid out on tables. She inspected paintings hung on the walls, enthralled with the history and talent of so many artisans.

One painting in particular interested her. It was a scenery, done in the realism she preferred. In the painting, several people, from what she assumed was the 17th century, were having a picnic in the woods. Children were playing, while the adults sat around, presumably talking and enjoying the pleasure of the day. Aro stood at her back while she moved to look closer. "The lighting is amazing, unless the artist was actually right there, outside with everyone. It's one thing to sketch it live, but then to go back to his studio and have to remember all of the details... I'm so jealous of the talent." She ran her hands over the painting without actually touching it.