The Blood inside you is the Blood inside me Part 28

When the news of the destruction of a fifth coven was related to Aro, the Volturi leader was beside himself with rage. The attack had taken place in the town of Porto de Galinhas, somewhere along the coast of Brazil. This coven had consisted of five vampires, three males and two females, and were known to a few other covens due to familial ties. They lived a peaceful life, enjoying the beauty of the ocean and the easy access to the regular influx of tourists to the area. Like the Volturi, they never touched the local citizens they existed among.

The family members in the related covens demanded the Volturi do something, which irritated Aro. How were they expected to defeat an unknown enemy. Like the previous attack, the large house was left untouched due to its proximity to neighboring homes, but no one had seen or heard anything. The attackers slipped in and out before anyone knew they'd been there.

There were eight billion humans on the planet, and it was unlikely the perpetrators would stand up and admit their guilt publicly. Aro had to know more than just the fact they were human. Was there a country willing to pit their military might against the vampire world, and how did the knowledge about vampires spread? Were there traitors among their kind, covens who hated the Volturi enough to enlist the help of humans to defeat them? Aro had questions with no answers.

Charlotte could do nothing to ease Aro's frustration, and she saw how the belongings in his office suffered. In a fit of temper, Aro had destroyed the bookshelf that sat against one wall and several pieces of artwork. Books lay strewn on the couch and floor, some now with bent and torn pages. She knew he would be angry with himself later at the loss of such priceless items.

Standing silently by her mate, she was afraid to say anything to him. Her hands rested lightly on his shoulders while he mumbled expletives in Italian and other languages Charlotte didn't understand. She had never heard Aro swear before. He was usually imposing, authoritative, even off-putting, and sometimes appeared to be deceptively unhinged, but he never swore.

Aro felt Charlotte's hands on him, which did comfort him somewhat, but he said nothing. Instead, he sat, sifting through Antonia's memories which were now his memories. Aro seemed to be staring into space with wide eyes, his hands clasped under his chin. He was re-experiencing what she'd seen, trying to garner new clues.

Charlotte squeezed Aro's shoulders and kissed his cheek before quietly leaving his office. She needed comfort of her own and sought out Marcus. Hearing movement coming from inside his office, she knocked on the door.

"Come in, Charlotte," he said, happy when he sensed her outside his door

"Come in, Charlotte," he said, happy when he sensed her outside his door. They had not been able to speak together as they used to, relaxed and amiable, since the coven attacks began. "It's so good to see you, my dear." He put down his book when he saw her troubled expression.

When she entered the spacious room, she saw Marcus sitting on his couch with a book at his side, obviously taking a break from the turmoil. She sat beside him, reaching for his hand, and huffed. "Aro is in his office, reliving Antonia's memories. I felt like I was in the way, so I left him alone. Mind if I sit with you for a few?"