The Blood inside you is the Blood inside me Part 9

Day Two prior to the change

Caius picked Charlotte up inside the rear entry gates of Volturi headquarters.. She was surprised to see him pull up in a creme-coloured Fiat 124 Spider convertible. She knew a little about cars, not mechanically speaking, but rather the makes and models, which she thought was ironic in that she hated driving herself. As she got in, she exclaimed, "This is yours, Caius? I love it! And a convertible, no less." Charlotte had pulled her hair back into her usual ponytail, and put on her sunglasses. She wished she had a scarf, but she didn't usually wear them back home. Dressed in black slacks and a black sleeveless shirt, Charlotte was more than ready to get out of the Volturi compound. Since it was Caius taking her, Aro had no issues with her possibly running away, NOT that she was even considering that, and she felt hurt that he would think it. She had chosen her new life, and was committed to making it work. "Floor it, Caius! Let's get out of here."

Grinning that she delighted in his choice of vehicle, Caius put on sunglasses to hide his eyes and drove through the streets of Volterra until they reached a stretch of road leading to the open countryside. He brought the top down, and increased his driving speed. Bracing her hand against the dashboard, Charlotte reveled in the fresh air. Her ponytail ended up blowing around, but she didn't care. It was wonderful just being outside. And she had to thank Caius for getting Aro to see the need for this venture. For awhile, she could forget that she was living with the Volturi and that Caius was not just a handsome young man.

It wasn't long before he pulled onto a dirt road and into a large clearing. Charlotte got out of the car while Caius retrieved their bows, and a large stock of arrows. "Those trees will make good targets," he said, pointing off in the distance. "Was Aro annoyed with you for wanting this day trip?"

"No. I told him it was all in good fun, and necessary for my sanity. I promised him it would be he and I the rest of today and all of tomorrow, before my...um time. I just need to get my mind off things for a bit. Thank you for your part in convincing him and for showing me around, Caius. Aro trusts you to keep an eye on me, so that I don't run away."

Caius gave her a look, brows raised in question. He knew she was imprinted on Demetri and would have no chance in evading him. But he was pleased she had no interest in leaving Volterra. He was getting to like Aro's little human more. "Would you?"

"Would I what?" she asked.

"Run away," he replied.

"Oh, stop that. I have no intention of running away. I'm too scared of you to even try. In any case, Aro had access to my thoughts. He should know better." Helping carry the equipment, Charlotte asked, "So what do Aro and Marcus drive?"

"Aro has a silver Bentley Continental. All class, very chic. Marcus prefers to be driven, thus his being on the road the night of your accident. His driver made the error in direction."

"Whatever happened to his driver?" Charlotte asked.

Caius looked at her, both brows raised, a tight smile on his face.

"Oh," Charlotte replied, knowing the answer without him having to articulate it. "It was just an accident."

"Volturi justice, Charlotte," Caius explained simply. He put his sunglasses in his shirt pocket, and handed her a bow, both preparing. "You may shoot first."

Charlotte hung her sunglasses from her shirt collar, nocked her arrow, and aimed for a large tree, more space to hit it, she decided. It had been awhile, after all. The arrow did hit the tree, bringing a smile of satisfaction to her face.

"Good job, sister," Caius said, nodding in approval.

"Sister? But you said I was not yet your sister or you weren't my brother, whichever way it was."