The Blood inside you is the Blood inside me Part 22

Aro felt surprisingly relaxed as the limousine returned to the Volturi compound. He was enjoying his conversation with Carlisle, recalling their comraderie as it had been back in the early 1700s in Volterra. Granted, the good doctor was never on the same level as Aro, he being one of the three heads of the Volturi leadership. But Aro felt more friendship with Carlisle perhaps than he felt with either Marcus or Caius. In Leavenworth, he had admittedly felt ill-at-ease, even with Charlotte beside him, but Volterra was his home. Now it was up to him to make Carlisle feel welcome again.

"It's interesting how steadfast your convictions have remained, my friend. Do you remember the time I sent a guard to the library with a human body, quite bloodied, if I recall. Even that did not tempt you to return to the roots of your existence."

"I wouldn't change from what I've chosen to be just because of some test you arranged, Aro. But I do admit, for one very brief moment, my venom was up. I'm sorry if I disappointed you," Carlisle countered. "But I had to leave before I forgot what I was."

"Friends don't judge one another, Carlisle, despite their differences in opinion. I had hoped you would stay, but I was not going to force you." He gave the blonde vampire a smile of understanding, knowing Charlotte was watching them. He then gave his mate a slight nod, smiling at her. Aro was glad he had let Charlotte force the meetings with the Cullens. He had been surprised that Marcus had gone along with it in the very beginning, but his brother seemed able to read Charlotte in an easier fashion that suited her needs. Aro was trying to do the same, but he found himself doubtful at times. Not in her beliefs, per se, just about the veracity of her compulsions. This was something even she didn't understand, but as her mate, he had to support her. She seemed to feel it was imperative.

It was good to have Alice here as well. His desire to recruit the pert young vampire to the Volturi Guard had not faded away, but he was pleased to see the friendship between Charlotte and Alice growing. Perhaps in this way, Alice might wish to be close to her friend, should she ever want a change of scenery, although Aro knew the likelihood that her mate Jasper would let her go was nil. Who knew, he might find himself with two new recruits. Surely Alice would see her own future with us, if that indeed was to be her future, Aro thought. Stranger things have happened.

Charlotte gave Aro his privacy by not listening in on their conversation, but she did inadvertently hear what he had voiced to Carlisle. That Aro could now say friends do not judge friends pleased her. For some reason, she felt that was not always the case. Still, Aro had let Carlisle leave Volterra unimpeded.

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

The limousine drove through the back gate and parked at the double doors. Everyone got out, with Felix and Demetri gathering the Cullen luggage to take to their assigned rooms. Once everyone was properly situated, Emmett had asked the two guards if he could join them. Charlotte was amazed at the ease with which Emmett had fit in. When she had first met him, she looked upon him as a big friendly puppy dog. This was better than expected. Perhaps time was all that was needed to bring these two covens together. Not that everyone was as accepting as Felix, Demetri and some of the others. But it was a start.

Alice had asked Charlotte if she would like to go into town later for a bit of shopping. It was agreed they would meet up in an hour. Jasper wanted to go as well, to check out the town and protect Alice. Malia had invited herself, which made Charlotte happy, not wanting to be a third wheel. Lately, Jane had taken Sarah under her wing, allowing Malia time to herself. Charlotte was surprised at Jane's sudden willingness to guide Sarah, but not unhappily so. Jane had been around a long time, and Charlotte trusted her to watch out for Sarah. If only Jane gave her the same consideration. Shaking off the feeling of rejection, she decided not to let anything mar Alice's visit.