The Blood inside you is the Blood inside me Part 7

Charlotte ran down the corridor, not even sure if it was the same one she had come through before. She knew she'd never be able to outrun a vampire, and Demetri didn't even seem to recognize her. It must be the blood lust that had control over him. She turned back to see him only a few feet behind her. When she felt a hand on her shoulder, she screamed. 

A flash passed her. It was Aro. He appeared in front of Charlotte, then pushed her roughly behind him. He faced Demetri, giving him a warning, "No, brother, enough!" Aro reached out, hitting the pursuing vampire in the chest so hard, he flew up into the air and down the corridor, hitting the floor hard. Rising up on one knee, Demetri snarled at Aro, his eyes fixed on Charlotte. He ran straight for her. "I said enough!" Aro grabbed Demetri by the arm and flung him down the corridor, where the tracker hit the wall, sending chunks of stone flying. He turned to Charlotte. "Run!"

Charlotte didn't need to be told twice. She turned and headed down the corridor until she finally knew where she was. Once inside her room, she shut the door she knew would provide no protection, unless Aro was successful in bringing Demetri down. She pushed the sitting chair up against the door, jamming it against the handle. Running into the bathroom, Charlotte shut the door. Knowing it had no lock, she stood with her back to the door, whimpering in fear.

Soon, she heard the sound of cracking wood, as if someone was breaking open the door to the bedroom. Oh god oh god what do I do now? Charlotte thought frantically.

"Charlotte, sono io, Aro. It's Aro. Open the door. You're safe now."

She turned to see the door open. Aro lifted Charlotte into his arms, and carried her to the bed, laying her down on it. "Cara, you're safe.' He lay beside her, pulling her into his arms. "Foolish mortal, you could have been killed."

Charlotte nestled up to Aro, wiping at her tears. "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. It was all my fault."

"Shhh...it's over," he said, his voice low and soothing.

She looked up at Aro, and noticed blood on his mouth. Without a word, Charlotte rolled her right sleeve down, and used the cuff to wipe the blood from his face.

Aro watched while she finished, truly surprised she showed no revulsion, considering the source of the blood. Her simple action tugged at his sentimental side.

Willing her body to stop shaking, Charlotte tried to take her mind off the recent terror she felt by asking, "Is Demetri alright? I need to apologise to him. I never should have been there, Aro." Charlotte began to think of the ramifications of her leaving her room unattended. If only she had been warned.

"He's a little bruised up, but will recover in no time. Now as for you..."

"Me." She nodded, not entirely willing to take full blame. Aro had to be told how upset she was with his people. "There were several opportunities to tell me what was going to happen, Aro. Do you understand the importance of being open with me? We have virtually no secrets now. Do I have to wait until I'm one of you before I'm kept apprised of dangers to me?"

Feeling bolder, Charlotte got up off the bed and faced Aro. "You promised me your protection, and because of me, that was almost compromised. However..." She moved over to the doors leading to the balcony window and opened them. Her breathing was finally returning to normal. "When we last played chess, Caius told me he was going to be busy Friday evening, but he didn't say why. He could have told me then, as you had before. Remember? 'Do not leave your room', you'd said." She turned to face Aro. "No more secrets. If Demetri had killed me, I know he would have felt horrible. And you? Would you have felt anything?"

Aro rose from the bed, and was at Charlotte's side in the blink of an eye. He knew she was right. He was furious, but not with her. Still, she had to make her decision as soon as possible. He would not risk losing her, especially to one of his own people. "Do you question my feelings for you, Charlotte? This is what I am, what we are."