The Blood inside you is the Blood inside me Part 31

Aro decided that everyone should take a break from the meeting, since the Romanians were enjoying baiting some of the attendees, then would sit back to watch the ensuing fireworks. He ordered Caius to speak with them, since he knew his gift-less brother enjoyed being the strong arm of the coven. Aro cautioned him not to actually harm them, just make it sound like he would.

The rooms in the villa were open to everyone. Aro asked anyone seeking to enjoy the break as he had planned to, to please lock the door, not to keep anyone out as if that would work, but to let everyone know extra privacy was being requested. Others made use of the library, sitting rooms, and private conversation areas, or simply went outside to enjoy the scenery. Feeding was approved, but only outside the walls of Volterra.

Aro had earlier chosen the room he and Charlotte would be using as their home away from home. Once ensconced inside, the couple could relax away from the fray of the meeting. The planning portion would be no easier, but Aro had Caius and Garrett in charge of that. It had pleased Aro that the once nomadic vampire worked so well with Caius, both competent warriors of their day. His time spent with the Denali coven was obviously doing him good.

Aro found himself wishing that all of these vampires were a part of the Volturi. What power they would wield. But if the covens could be united, as Charlotte was hoping, the power would be there if he ever needed to draw from it.

"And to think I had once compared the Volturi to Redcoats," Garrett remarked to Aro and Caius, referencing the confrontation of a decade or more ago.

"And is that a bad thing?" Caius asked, knowing full well who the Redcoats were. He gave the American Revolutionary vampire a smirk.

"It was in my book." Garrett laughed. "Who knows. Maybe I didn't give the Volturi enough credit. Being enforcers of the law can be a thankless job. And if you listen to enough people, you tend to believe what they say."

Aro was intrigued. "What things have you heard about us, Garrett?"

"Just that you are only interested in gathering gifted vampires to your coven, regardless of what you have to do to get them."

Aro considered his words and knew he was correct in the assumption. But things had changed over the last 11 years. He led the most powerful coven on the planet, and although their reputation had taken a hit, he felt it was being rebuilt. Those here knew what had to be done, and the fact it was the Volturi who had instigated this conference impressed other covens. They either knew Charlotte or knew of her and respected her in spite of her being Aro's mate. If Aro could listen to such a woman and take her as his mate, he had to have changed. His few detractors still attempted to impugn his reputation however, but with their upcoming victory, they would fail.

"I suggest you both get some rest as well. We must have clear minds for the planning phase of this mission." Aro stared at Caius who knew it was an unspoken order. The blonde vampire complied, knowing he would be coming into his own in leading this raid against the humans.

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

Charlotte had undressed and was washing up in the bathroom, finally feeling refreshed after the long meeting. She would put on something more comfortable later, after she and Aro had enjoyed some much-needed private time together. She was brushing her long hair while talking to Aro, who was in the bedroom choosing something different to wear.

"I once saw a film that was part of a series. The last film in the series had the tag line "Ape shall never kill ape. Why can't vampires do that?"

"What, never kill apes?" Sometimes Charlotte truly confused him, but Aro still loved her more than his own existence. He had merely learned to accept her with all her human idiosyncrasies.