9. Grieving

Ushijima paced back and forth in front of Tendou's room, waiting for anything at all to happen. No one would let him in the room. No one was talking to him.

For all he knew his lover was dead and it was his fault.

"Wakatoshi?"

Ushijima turned. "Is he okay? Is he awake?"

"He's asleep." Tendou's mother stepped into the hallway. She took in a shaky breath. "I need you to mate him."

"What?"

"I need you to mate him when he's ready. His body is grieving a loss. It created life and couldn't handle it and now he's hurting. He needs you. You helped him create that life and I fully expect you to help him grieve."

"He was pregnant?" Ushijima whispered.

"Almost two months. I don't know why his body rejected it."

Ushijima nodded. "Can I see him?"

"Of course." She opened the door and sat by the bed. "He lost a lot of blood so he's going to be down for a while. That and he can't practice for several weeks."

"I'm not worried about practice. The team needs him but his health is important." Ushijima leaned by Tendou and fixed the blankets. If they were too tight when he woke up he would panic. Ushijima scented his pillow and Tendou turned into it, just his head going and not his body. His body was tired and sore.

"Is it okay if I sit with him alone?"

"I want to be with my son."

"Yes ma'am." Ushijima sat down and tried his hardest not to tear up. It was his fault and he knew it. He was so used to that spoon going across his face. Why did he have to run?

"I'm praying the next baby you two have will be okay."

Ushijima looked over.

"I don't even care about him being a teenager. I made it in life. He's turning eighteen in a few months. He's okay."

"I'm not trying to get him pregnant. I don't want to make him struggle." Ushijima fiddled with his hands. His mother didn't know where he was. "I want to keep him healthy."

"Omegas get healthier when they're pregnant. It's a beautiful thing to see."

Tendou whimpered softly. One of his hands skimmed over his stomach. Ushijima's heart broke at the action. His body already knew what had happened.

Tendou's mother got up and hugged him, kissing his hair and forehead. Tendou's eyes fluttered open and he smiled. He was definitely high as a kite with the pain medication but he looked comfortable.

"Mama!"

"Hi sweetheart."

"Am I floating?"

"Sure baby."

Tendou smiled and turned his head. Ushijima made eye contact with him and something in his chest snapped. The dam that was holding back tonight's tears broke and he burst into sobs, rushing out of the room. He went outside the hospital and just cried and sobbed and held himself. He'd never felt so disgusted in himself before.

"Get your ass back upstairs."

Ushijima turned. "I can't. I can't face him after what I did."

"It is no one's fault that he couldn't handle the way his body reacted! He needs to be loved Wakatoshi." Tendou's mother leaned down and glared. "You might be a massive boy compared to me but I will not hesitate to beat your ass if you don't go and try to help me with what has happened."