23. Heaving

Tendou had been sick for three days now and had since been getting worse. He couldn't sleep now. At all. The fever exhausted him to no end but he was awake because Etsumi constantly kicked him and his back hurt. He ached everywhere and could barely eat because he kept throwing it back up. Ushijima had tried staying home with him but Tendou yelled at him to go to school. After he'd left there was three hours of straight up sobbing before he choked and puked into his hands and started screaming.

All he really could do was cry, desperately wanting to fall asleep. His mother tried to get him to fall asleep with her for naps and Ushijima had tried to get him to calm down with sitting outside but he was so uncomfortable and exhausted and overstimulated that he couldn't handle himself.

Nothing felt good. Nothing helped. He just wanted to fall asleep.

Ushijima was currently trying to make him sleep again, Tendou's back to his chest as he rubbed his stomach. Tendou was almost there but kept startling awake at kicks to his rib cage. "Fuck!"

"Love. Easy." Ushijima kissed his hair. "Try to relax, please."

Tendou whined. "He keeps kicking me. I can't breathe right. I'm sick. Everything hurts."

Ushijima hummed. "It's time for a bath. It should help your muscles and your fever."

Tendou nodded. He was helped up and taken to the bathroom where he halfway laid against the tub as it was filled.

"Love?" Ushijima whispered at some point and Tendou startled awake, having finally gotten just a moment of peace in his body. He sat up, rubbing his eyes. Ushijima kissed his temple gently and helped him into the tub. "Would you like me to get in the bath with you or would it be better to let you be?"

"Stay here, please. I need you," Tendou whispered. Tears came to his eyes. "I need you."

Ushijima's heart ached to hold his mate and to love him. He reached and hugged Tendou. "I won't leave."

Tendou began to cry quietly into his shoulder. "I need you, I need you. I don't want you to ever leave me again. Everything hurts so bad and not even mom can fix it."

"I'm here Satori. I'm not leaving you. You need to let the water help love." Ushijima rubbed his back. "I'm right here, I'm trying to help."

Tendou started to cough, his body already overwhelmed. Ushijima flared his scent and Tendou calmed instantly. He laid against Ushijima, just trying to relax. The warm water was soaking up the pain and he was slowly starting to feel better. Ushijima cleaned him and washed his hair, having to avoid his stomach. Tendou had cried out once his hands started to go to his stomach, not wanting Etsumi to kick him again. It was like the kid knew his daddy was there and wanted to say hi but he got too excited. The same way Tendou acted now was reflected even in his baby which would have been touching if it weren't for the circumstances.

"Satori?"

Tendou opened his eyes, staring at Ushijima. "Yeah?"

"You fell asleep again."

"That means you're doing good," Tendou praised groggily. He sat up. "Ugh. My hair."

Ushijima grabbed the cup by the tub and started on his hair, praising him softly as he did so in order to keep him calm. He managed to get through washing his hair before Tendou asked to go to bed, practically asleep in his lover's arms. Ushijima had simply eased him out of the tub and dried him off. Tendou laid against him while he did this, needing the physical support as he struggled to stay awake.

"Toshi..."

Ushijima stopped drying his hair for a moment. "Yes love?"

"I'm gonna sleep," he mumbled. He whined softly. "My stomach is so heavy!"

Ushijima turned him around slowly and put his hands under his stomach, lifting slowly. Tendou cried out, his whole body seemingly lighter now. "Is this okay?"

"God yes. Just hold it there," Tendou mumbled. "Man this is almost as good as you fucking me."

Ushijima tried not to laugh at the out of pocket comment. Tendou had an awful habit of being inappropriate like this but he loved it. It made Tendou special in some way. "Tell me when to let go. You still need to lay down."

"Don't tell me that because you'll be standing there until he comes out."

Ushijima laughed softly. He gently lowered Tendou's stomach minutes later and Tendou used the bathroom before being led to bed, Ushijima setting him up against his pillow and holding him from behind. Tendou mumbled to him for only a few minutes tonight, falling asleep quickly.

Ushijima became relieved at this and texted Tendou's mother to share the good news. She had texted back in all caps, excited that she would finally be able to have Tendou okay again.

She was quickly proven wrong in the morning when as soon as Tendou had woken up he started to throw up without knowing, heaving in his half asleep state. Ushijima quickly got up as this happened and rubbed Tendou's back, waiting for him to stop so he could clean him up. Tendou sat up and groggily took off his shirt to be washed, upset but not awake enough to realize why he was so distressed. Ushijima got him out of bed and cleaned him off and let him finish throwing up in the toilet.

Tendou was then helped to go lay on a futon in the living room while Ushijima cleaned up. Tendou slept through all of this, not once waking up to throw up again. His mother did have to wake him up though, concerned about his blood sugar.

He let her check it, cringing heavily as it was happening. It was low again so he drank a juice and ate a little, barely able to eat since he felt so bad. It wasn't as bad as the day before where he'd begged to be left alone so it was somewhat progress.

She kept an eye on him until she had to leave and texted one of the neighbors to check on him over the course of the next few hours. Ushijima would be home late due to practice and Tendou didn't have many friends who could check on him. The woman from next door checked on him every hour, worried by his constant whimpering and whining in his sleep. Finally she realized he was simply sleeping and that he was truly fine, if not just a bit uncomfortable with his fever.

She woke him up near dinner time and helped him sip at some soup.

"I'm really sorry you're feeling this way. How far along are you?"

"Twenty six weeks." Tendou looked up from his bowl. "What time is it?"

"Around six."

Tendou nodded and awkwardly sat where he was. How had he even gotten up here in the first place? He would much rather be in a dark room with his pillow instead of the pillows from the living room. He laid back down and instantly felt a pull on his bladder that he was sure was a kick. He got up and used the bathroom quickly, groaning as he sat down. He felt so heavy now, it was odd.

"I'm going to go ahead and leave, okay? You should call if you need anything."

"Mkay." Tendou laid back down and covered up. "Mm..."

****

Ushijima walked into the living room, glad to see Tendou sleeping without his help. He was snoring softly even, his fever almost gone. Ushijima laid with him until Tendou rolled over and snuggled him.

"Are you feeling better?"

"Much," Tendou mumbled. He rubbed his stomach and felt gentle kicks against his palm. "Hi buddy... hi."

Ushijima rubbed Tendou's back. "You need to eat love."

"I know." He sighed, turning over. He groaned. "I'm hungry as fuck."

Ushijima reached up, getting yet another bowl of soup. "Here."

Tendou drank it slowly, letting it warm him. He waited another fifteen minutes before taking his temperature and found that his fever had finally gone down over the hours of him sleeping.

"Are you feeling okay love?"

"I'm okay. Kinda. My fever is almost gone and I need to pee really bad but I'm okay." Tendou smiled wide. "Do you wanna stretch with me?"

"I would love to." Ushijima helped him downstairs where he safely stretched with Tendou, wanting to be careful so he wouldn't strain anything. Tendou felt better afterwards and ate again. He asked to have a companion on a walk and Ushijima could feel the improvement. He was okay again. Either that or healthier.