12. Giving It All Up

Tendou's mother stared at her son's shoulder. She pressed an ice pack to it and Tendou flinched. "Shit."

"I'm sorry honey. Wakatoshi how are you holding up?" Ushijima waved silently from his spot on the couch. He'd been exhausted since he'd woken up.

Tendou had been too but he'd called his mom to pick him up. This time when he'd admitted that Ushijima had knotted him again she didn't get hasty and instead kissed his cheeks and held him, icing his shoulder. It had been hours and he'd decided to not to take any sort of morning after pill. He knew his body would give up again, he could feel it somewhere in his chest that he couldn't do it again. His mother let him be and held him still.

"Love."

Tendou looked over. "Yeah?"

"I need something for my head."

Tendou threw him the bottle of Tylenol. "Gotcha babe."

"How long did you two keep each other up? Good Lord." Tendou's mother laughed and rubbed his hair.

"I passed out as the sun came up."

"And Wakatoshi?"

"Half an hour before," Ushijima whispered.

"Don't worry it was just cause of the knot." Tendou laid on top of Ushijima and kissed his cheek. "Can we PLEASE take a nap. Baby I'm begging you."

Tendou's mother rolled her eyes. "Let's not be all weird and sappy in front of me please."

Tendou laughed before settling down. Ushijima turned around and held him close. "Your phone buzzed."

"Check it."

Ushijima tapped the screen. "It's from Semishira."

"Fuck. The password is my birthday."

"Pick a new one soon, that's dangerous," Ushijima mumbled. He opened the message and hummed. "He's wanting to come over."

"Tell him that I'm trying to take a nap and that he can come over tomorrow." Tendou yawned. "Fuck I want my bed."

Ushijima stood slowly and helped him to bed where he laid down and almost instantly fell asleep. When he woke up it was because he smelled food and realized he was starving. He got up and Ushijima groaned at him.

"Shush you big baby."

"You were warm."

"So is that food." Tendou went upstairs and found his mother cooking gravy. Gravy that she was taught to make when she was little. "Mom? Southern food?"

"Comfort food hun." She turned. "Wakatoshi's never had it and you need it. Go lay back down, I'll be with you two in a second."

"Wait what's cooking though?" Tendou questioned.

"Biscuits, gravy, I have chicken cooked." She smiled. "I have ice cream in the freezer too."

"Chocolate?"

"Of course. Vanilla for him."

"You're the best." Tendou hugged her.

"Oh good god, go take a shower!"

"Shut up!" He rushed downstairs and grabbed Ushijima for a bath. Ushijima laid against him and they whispered for a while. Ushijima got them plates and they laid in bed, eating and talking quietly. Ushijima felt better but he felt so different.

Seeing Tendou sleeping soundly next to him made his chest warm with not only love but something else. It broke him to have to leave and go home, slipping past his mother and going directly to bed.

****

"WAKATOSHI!"

Ushijima turned and gasped, opening his arms at the last minute as Tendou jumped at him. He held him tight and above the ground, kissing his hair. "I thought you weren't going to come to school today?"

"I wasn't but I couldn't ignore something telling me to come to you. This whole being mated thing is so cool."

Ushijima pulled Tendou away from the team and held him, staring into his eyes. "Satori."

"Hm?"

"Take a test in two weeks."

Tendou's eyes widened. "What? Why?"

"I know you doubt your body but we need to be careful." Ushijima fixed his hair. "If you are pregnant-"

"Then I will keep it," Tendou stated firmly.

The larger of the two was taken aback for a moment before nodding. "Alright."

"I don't want to risk anything. I want a baby and you know this. I wasn't trying to get pregnant but if I am then thank god. I didn't want to lose that baby."

Ushijima took Tendou's hands into his own. He would quit everything he ever loved for this boy. Volleyball, living with his mother. His whole life could be down the drain for Tendou and he wouldn't mind.

"Why did you pull me aside in the first place?"

"You smell... sweet."

"Sweet?" Tendou questioned softly. "Sweet how Wa-kun?"

"Sweet as in how all of my aunts smelled when they had my cousins. Pregnant sweet." Ushijima's eyes filled with worry. "Do you not smell it?"

"No." Tendou smelled his wrist. "Nah it's not changing for me."

Ushijima nodded. Tendou just smiled. "Do you feel different?"

"Eh."

Ushijima sighed. "You're going to take that test."

"Two weeks."

"And then two weeks after that. And again after that. I need you to keep taking them until we know for sure if you're pregnant or not."

Tendou put his hands over his stomach and took a deep breath. "What about volleyball?"

"What about it?"

"You love volleyball. You can't just drop it-"

"Yo! Hurry up!"

Ushijima turned and headed towards the team. "I'll be over in a minute, we're discussing something very important."

Ohira nodded. He walked to the team and Ushijima turned back to Tendou.

"I would do anything for our baby." He kissed Tendou's temple and went back to the team. Tendou stood by himself and felt something shift deep inside his chest. There was no way he wasn't pregnant. A smile crept onto his face and laughed softly.

He was gonna have a baby. Maybe. Probably.