26. Thirty Eight Hours

Ushijima helped Tendou lay back down, a hand on his chest. He'd tried getting up multiple times already but he was in the middle of a contraction and holding his breath unintentionally. "Breathe. Love. You're going to make it hurt worse if you hold your breath. Please breathe."

Tendou gasped for air, nodding. He cried out, desperate to make the pain go away.

"Do you want the epidural?"

Tendou nodded hurriedly. "Yes!"

Ushijima looked to a nurse. "Can he please get an epidural?"

"Of course! I'll call and they'll be right over."

Ushijima nodded. He took the cold cloth from next to him and gently wiped away the sweat from Tendou's face. He got a stretchy headband out of the hospital bag and put it over his hair to prevent it from going in his face. The last thing he needed was for Tendou to get mad about his hair.

"Baby love."

Ushijima looked down and smiled. "I'm here."

Tendou laughed. "This hurts like a bitch."

"It'll be so worth it soon love. So very worth it."

"Yeah cause then I'll get to see this little dummy." Tendou stretched. "How long is this gonna take?"

"It could take up to two days baby," Tendou's mother stated softly. She looked over to her son. "You took thirty eight hours."

Tendou's heart dropped. He was going to be in pain for so long...

Anesthesia came in and eased Tendou up before giving him his epidural. He laid back down and felt drowsy, taking a quick nap while waiting for his next contraction and for everything to set in. Ushijima kissed his temple and quickly went to get him some ice.

When he was back Tendou's eyes were half way open, staring drowsily at Ushijima. "Where's you go?"

"To get you ice. Does anything hurt?"

"No. I need you." He held up his hand and Ushijima hugged him.

"I'm here."

"I feel another contraction coming. I need them to check and see if I can push yet. I need to push."

Ushijima rubbed his stomach. "It's going to take a while to push Satori. Be patient."

"No I mean my body is telling me I need to push now." He groaned softly. "There we go."

"You can still feel them?"

"Yeah but it's okay. It's just uncomfortable."

Ushijima nodded. A nurse came in and Tendou asked if he could be checked, wanting desperately to start pushing.

"You're in active labor. But you can't start pushing yet."

"My water broke though. My body is telling me to push and it's telling me to push now."

The nurse sighed. "Satori you need to wait. You could tear if you start now."

Tendou whimpered. "It hurts."

Ushijima held his hand, rubbing his fingers. "Breathe."

Tendou took deep breaths with him, shaking. "How many centimeters wide am I?"

"Six. You should be feeling contractions as close as three minutes from stop to start."

Tendou nodded. Another few minutes passed before he grabbed the bed rails. "Oh shit. Oh shit."

"The epidural isn't working!" Ushijima cried out as Tendou burst into tears.

Nurses quickly shot a bit more pain medication through him. Tendou sobbed, kicking lightly as his next contraction happened. He laid back and Ushijima held his hand. Tendou was checked again and he stayed at six, just a little past it but still there.