Chapter-14

" You will marry him," A voice interrupted their father-daughter moment.

It was none other than Rubab's mother. She was leaning against the doorframe to balance her weak body. Tears glistened on her wrinkled pale face. She had been crying non stop since Zulfikar's arrest.

" If this marriage can bring back my son then I don't have any problem," Rubab's mother said. Her voice was desperate as if she would do anything for her son.

Rubab's father scowled," This is absurd. How can we just marry off our daughter to a stranger?"

He tightened his hold around Rubab's shoulder. Rubab did not say anything for a few moments or we can say she could not voice out anything. She was still bewildered by everything.

" Darwish is rich and not too old. What more do you want? He will keep our Rubab happy," Runa explained to Selim as if she knew Darwish personally. Her confident voice was indicating so.

He shook his head in denial," Just because he is rich. Doesn't mean he is a good person. Do we know anything about his parents? His background? Nothing!"

" I am not going to hand over my only daughter to him. That's final," Selim declared. His voice was firm and straight.

Runa cried out," If this marriage don't happen then Zulfikar will be thrown into jail for 7 years! I talked to the lawyer. He told me that our chance of winning is low. He just assumed that the judge may giv...........

" Your son's love has blinded you!" Selim blurted out before she could even complete her words.

Runa was disturbed about everything. Since Rubab's abduction and Zulfikar's arrest her mental situation was in complete chaos and now Selim's straightforward words triggered a strong nerve inside her.

" Oh, really! Then, tell me who is going to marry her?" Runa pointed her finger at Rubab. " She is ruined and the whole society knows it. Every single person in our locality considers her a plague as if even her shadow will taint their daughters. Even small children are brainwashed against her. In this situation, if a man is willing to marry her then it's her luck."

" I am sick of hearing their taunts behind my back. I am tired of hearing my upbringing questioned. I am sick of people scrunching their noses at my family. I will go crazy one day. It would be better if she leaves our house, our life and this locality ," Runa screeched  before collapsing on her knees.

It was a pin-drop silence after her outburst. Selim was speechless while Rubab just let silent tears flow down. She felt a sudden sting in her chest looking at her mother's broken figure. She wasn't hurt by her mother's words because it was the truth. Though there was no fault of her, no one was bothered to understand her perspective.

Rubab was just hurt, guilty and felt like a useless human being because her mother had been digesting different types of taunting and humiliation because of her. She could understand her mother's feelings. She took the full blame on her head.

" This marriage will shut down these filthy people's mouths and bring back my son. I just want my children's happiness. That's it," Runa hiccuped.

Selim was silent but he was still not convinced to marry off Rubab to Darwish. He would never marry off his daughter against her wish.

" Rubab will find happiness in America. Away from these filthy people's eyes," Selim reminded Runa.

Runa questioned back," And, what about Zulfikar? Are you ready to see your son rotting in jail?"

Selim lowered his head because he didn't have answer to this question. He was still clueless about how he was going to save Zulfikar.

" I will marry, Mr Yazdani," Rubab wiped away her tears with the back of her hands.