Chapter-20

" Rubab, drink it. You will feel better," Rubab was startled by her friend Ayesha's sudden voice.

She diverted her gaze from the window and noticed Ayesha standing with a mug of coffee. Ayesha handed the coffee mug to Rubab which she gladly took. Ayesha sat in front of Rubab with her coffee mug.

" I have applied for a job in a company. I am hoping for a positive response," Rubab informed Ayesha taking a sip from her coffee. " I told Tania to look for a low-cost apartment for me. Once I get the job and the roof above my head, I will move out."

Ayesha replied softening her eyes," Come on, Rubi. You can stay here as long as you want."

Rubab just nodded her head letting out a long sigh. After leaving Darwish's house she came to her friend Ayesha's house. She knew that she couldn't return to her house so she opted for this option. It's not like her family won't accept her. According to her, her family had gone through enough just because of her. So, she didn't want to increase her family's difficulties anymore. She is an educated adult woman. She can take care of herself. Once she gets a stable job she will file for divorce.

" I am glad to have you here. It's difficult to live alone," Ayesha let out a sad smile.

Rubab didn't say anything but she kinda felt extremely bad for Ayesha. Even a few days ago, Ayesha had everything. But, a sudden storm crumbled her world. Her parents died in an accident. Her husband cheated on her and she lost her unborn baby due to mental stress. Her situation was not less bad than Rubab's.

" You know what Rubi, I feel like I deserve such fate for whatever I did," Ayesha lowered her eyes having a guilty expression. 

Rubab was stunned and confused by her words. She didn't know why Ayesha was looking so guilty. How could she say that she deserves such misery?

" What do you mean?" Rubab sounded curious.

Ayesha took a deep breath," I was such a horrible human being." 

" Probably, you may not remember Mazhar. I still feel so horrible for whatever I did. More precisely whatever we did. We were actual scumbags," Ayesha's voice trembled as if she was going to start crying anytime soon.

Ayesha's words were going right above Rubab's head. She didn't understand to whom Ayesha was refering. The sadness in Ayesha's eyes was genuine and pure. She was clearly ashamed about something.

" Ayesha, I am not understanding anything. What do you mean by We? Did I also commit  something wrong?" Rubab questioned. She was inquisitive about her own self since she forgot a lot of things.

Ayesha let out a smile of irony," You?"

" You were the leader of our bully gang," Ayesha added.

Rubab was taken aback by this newfound information about herself. Her face fell. She was a bully? How and when? As per as she remembers she always treated people nicely. She never disrespected anyone. She couldn't believe she was hearing about herself.

" Bully?" Rubab's voice came out as a whisper.

Ayesha started narrating," We were the bully gang of our school. We used to bully those students who were weak than us in every meaning. Specifically, poor student."

" Our parents were financially stable to cover up our atrocities in school. I always used my father's name since he was a political leader. You also used your father's name since he was a police officer. You used to threaten those weak students saying that you will throw them behind the bar if they say anything against you. It wasn't just about you and me. The whole bully gang of ours were just like that," Ayesha paused biting her lips. She was already crying because of guilt. The self-loathing was strong inside her.